Celtic Spiral Cherry Earrings

I came up with something to do with some of the scraps from recent inlay experiments.

Wine cork for scale:

25 Likes

Pretty! (That’s how to conserve material!) :smile:

1 Like

Seeing those stuck in the cork, I thought of bighorn sheep horns. Now I can’t unsee it that way.

5 Likes

I have some similar shapes and was thinking of doing something similar! I love when we can use all the bits.

1 Like

Now I just need to figure out what to do with these bits from an engrave that got set to cut. :grin:

(Edit: fixed awful color balance.)

16 Likes

A pendant for the earrings? Just need a couple of eyes on either side of that mouth.

2 Likes

A kinetic sculpture? Seems like there would be some spring in that shape.

Nice earrings! I did the same thing with the holes cut out of my faux enamel pendants and my mom is wearing them now. Waste not, want not.

2 Likes

Ooooo custom “Mr. Potatohead” type gifts!

3 Likes

There is definitely some spring. Not sure how much load they would take before structural failure.

More earrings (dangling variety this time) are an option. I have 3 of them, though.

I’ve been using super glue to adhere the studs to the earrings, but it doesn’t always hold. What adhesive did you use?

I actually rough sand the studs so the glue has something to grab on to instead of the smooth surface.

1 Like

I sanded through the finish on the wood on the back and, roughed up the base of the post a little with the sandpaper. I used Gorilla wood glue to attach the posts. They seem pretty well attached with casual testing. I am waiting for feedback after they are worn for more than a try-on.

I thought about using CA but, figured it would likely be too brittle.

If the wood glue doesn’t hold up, I was going to try E6000.

2 Likes

Interesting, I actually engrave where the stud will go (since mine aren’t usually from repurposed pieces). I’ve had a few people mention e6000, but I have a higher fail rate with it than I do my super glue. I will try and break them off after 24hrs, because better for me to do it than to mail them out and have someone complain about it. I’d say it’s a pretty high success rate with my method, but I’m always looking for new ideas!

1 Like

If I put enough E6000 that it squooshes out a little bit around the stud base they’ve held up great, but they tend to fail if I skimp. That’s on PG ply and tile backs without any sanding/roughing. YMMV.

1 Like

Earrings and a necklace

1 Like

That had occurred to me. Possibly a little fragile for a necklace.

You could inlay it into something!
…wait, that’s how we got here in the first place :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Heh.

Or attach it to a backing piece.

1 Like