Chanukah Display

We gave our home Chanukah display an upgrade this year. 20 laser cut and etched acrylic dreidels with embedded LEDs around our circular driveway. They look amazing! To truly appreciate them (and the thousands of colors and patterns) you’d need to see the video. As video is not supported here, I hope this pic does them justice. :slight_smile:

46 Likes

Very nice. Got a close up pic of one? Or maybe at least a closer-up? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Impressive!

Welcome to the community!

6 Likes

Here’s what they looked like while we were inserting the LEDs.

17 Likes

Are animated GIFs allowed? Let’s see …
DreidelGIF

15 Likes

Wicked! What processor are you using to drive the LEDs?

6 Likes

The LEDs are Adafruit Neopixels. All of the displays (close to 5,000 LEDs in total) are powered by Teensy controllers (Arduino compatible) with OctoWS2811 boards.

7 Likes

Another view …
DreidelsGIF

14 Likes

Very nice display!

3 Likes

This is beautiful! and it looks like they’re weatherproof as well - which is important with electronics!

Video is supported, but only tiny ones. If you upload to YouTube/Vimeo/etc. you can place the link here and it will embed and play locally.

7 Likes

I would totally agree! Did you engrave the channel for the LEDs?

3 Likes

That’s a very festive upgrade!

3 Likes

Ooh, lovely!

My favorite color is holiday lights!

3 Likes

What an awesome use of your GF! I love the color ‘wave’ of the last display.

Welcome to the forum, we can’t wait to see more of your work.

5000 neopixels (aka ws2812b’s) is a lot of current at full brightness and saturation, something like 100 amps at 5v! How are you powering them all?

I’d assume it’s somehow in parallel because a run that long would have serious red shift due to voltage drop otherwise… or are you using 12v strands to offset that issue?

1 Like

I LOVE this! Great idea and good job and getting it completed!

Wow! Wonderful! Judah and the Macabees would be proud!! Break out the sufginot! Big party at @benforta s house!

2 Likes

Such a fun idea using edge-lit outside! Looks great.

2 Likes

This is so cool! I love the effect they create together!

1 Like

So impressed!!!