Cheap Silhouette Cameo 3 Starter Bundle

That my friend is a prime example of getting the most from life! Taking a small pile of money and turning it into something that brings you joy - Sweet when those moments come along.
Nice machine, the buttons look great!

10 Likes

Thanks! It doesnā€™t hurt that a few days after I got it, a customer came in, saw the buttons I had made so far, and immediately ordered a large batch with the logo I had designed for him!

12 Likes

Outstanding! And soon, you will add a laserā€¦

4 Likes

YAAASSSSS!!
and when I get the email I shall do a happy dance.

21 Likes

I find that a good desk lamp is extremely helpful. Last Christmas I got this OttLite as a gift. Couldnā€™t live without it for weeding intricate details. It is geared torward hobbyists: Available at Michalā€™s, Joann Fabrics and Hobby Lobby. A good desk lamp would probably work just as well.

Iā€™ve also heard that a light table can work wonders, but I havenā€™t used one yet.

9 Likes

These are fantasticā€¦small, wearable works of art. I can sure understand why youā€™re having so much fun!

2 Likes

At least you didnā€™t get one of these like I once did (kind of wish I still had it). :joy:

8 Likes

Iā€™m internet famous! Iā€™m internet famous! Weā€™ll, okay, only Glowforge community part of the internet famous. Good enough for me!

I want a button press now. Love your work!

9 Likes

Thanks thatā€™s actually a great idea. She did mention her craft area isnā€™t well lit.

2 Likes

A stupidest tool weā€™ve aver bought thread would be really fun. You should start itā€¦
:slight_smile:

Edit: nothing against Pogs as theyā€™re kinda fun

7 Likes

Aside from cutting vinyl what would this allow me to do that the GF wonā€™t? Iā€™m tempted to get one, but also donā€™t want to have too many new toys to figure out over the coming months.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not addicted ā€¦ I have the Silhouette SD, Silhouette Cameo (bought it on a similar sale), black & white laser, color inkjet that does up to 13x19" (I make 12x12" calendars)ā€¦oh and I own 2 scrapbook/hobby binding machines and decided I wanted a heavier duty so bought a heavy duty one with 300 spirals (3 different sizes), a 3D printer ā€¦ and then the Glowforge ā€œprinterā€ ā€¦ my most anticipated purchase is the Tesla Model 3 (sigh ā€¦ sounds like I will have that in 18 months or less)ā€¦my son recently got a Tesla Model S (he makes more $) ā€¦ no addictions hereā€¦we just kinda like tech (tip of the iceberg).

5 Likes

Thatā€™s quite a collection. Want to add a Curio? :laughing: I got it and used it a couple of times. Working with the mats is a pain and I didnā€™t think the embossing was very good. It sits in my basement now. Iā€™m looking forward to engraving some custom embossing plates to run through a Cuttlebug. Was going to try to make positive and negatives to fit together, but I thing a single plate with a rubber embossing mat may work just as well.

Quite a jump from a Cameo to a Tesla though! I wish - My Jeep Cherokee will do me for awhile. :blue_car:

1 Like

Vinyl and paper is the best use for it. Iā€™m still not sure how efficient the Glowforge will be for cutting paper. Other than paper, I use the Cameo to cut vinyl for signs and decals; Paper stickers for printed party favors and labels; Heat Transfer Vinyl to make shirts, Can Koozies, etc. The only thing listed that you canā€™t cut at all is vinyl (due to the PVC fumes). However, the Cameo does a pretty good job of ā€œkissā€ cutting materials - cutting through only one layer of the material to leave a backing that holds the design together. Iā€™m not sure if I we will be able to set up the speed/power of the Glowforge to attempt that. Here is a link to some of the stuff that Iā€™ve posted before.

4 Likes

Fantastic. Thanks for the info. Feeling tempted but I might hold out for a little longer. Time is limited and I want to get good at GF and figure out what else I wish I could do rather than trying to guess today.

Plus my workshop isnā€™t ready for anything yet anyway.

2 Likes

If you do start cutting vinyl another useful tool is some sort of magnifier to help weeding. I have several ones from the self-standing on goose-neck, to on the head eyeglass types,etc. The dots I was weeding out of vinyl this morning (part of a font) were litttle larger than the head of a straight pin - magnifier and dental pick to carefully ā€œgrabā€ it. Those pointed tweezers from the video are good to have as well (Love you Amazon).

3 Likes

Thatā€™s so awesome! Love your designs!

So happy to have found ā€œmy kind of peopleā€ on this forum! :squeeee:

4 Likes

I played with Pog when I was little!!! You 80ā€™s baby too? I collected the ones that were shiny!

2 Likes

Ah, looks like the Cameo Starter Kit is all sold out on Woot. Probably just as well for me - too much toy appetite as it is.

Woot is a daily sale site. They run a different item for 24 hours or until it sells out, so as of midnight last night it was gone from the site. About once a month they have whatā€™s called a Woot-Off in which they change the sale item as soon as it sells out. Itā€™s fun to watch and see what comes up, but rarely is there anything that is a good enough sale for me to buy it.

I would love to get a BOC thoughā€¦ thatā€™s a Bag Oā€™ Crap. It sells for $5 and it is an item that is simply a grab bag of random stuff. Usually, they say, it equals about $20 worth of stuffā€¦ but there have been tales of people getting game systems, tvs, computers, etcā€¦ It sells out instantaneously every time. Iā€™ve been lucky enough to see it pop up on the site, but never been fast enough to lock one down before it sells out.

3 Likes