Christmas Tree Gear Ornament

I’ve been making ornaments for the kids in the family each year, and I wanted to incorporate gears this time around. This is a three-layer design made of stained 3mm baltic birch, held together with snap pegs that also serve as axles. I made the gears on geargenerator.com, and I opened up the back so the kids could see how all the gears worked. After a bit of tweaking, they run pretty well - they are intended to represent twinkling lights on the tree

ezgif-3-416f227e85fe

Here’s a sample of what the connector looks like if you want to use it:

Sample Connector
Sample Connector.svg.zip (1.3 KB)

47 Likes

That is great! I love the connector! Especially that it creates “Ornaments” on the front of the tree! Well done!

5 Likes

Wonderful. Plus one for an animated GIF! :evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Your gear trees are great - and thanks for sharing the connector. That will come in handy!

1 Like

What a super cool idea! They came out great. And thanks for the connector thingy!

1 Like

Love these!! And thanks for sharing/detailing your connectors. That was my first question to myself as I was looking at the pics.

1 Like

You really geared up for Christmas! Those snap in place connectors look like they could have a lot of applications as well especially as snap on hinges in boxes, :upside_down_face:

1 Like

This is super! Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

That is a wonderful tradition! These are very cool!

1 Like

Crazy good! Man I love this machine… the things it brings out of people’s minds and into reality!

2 Likes