Chromebook Support?

Hello GlowForum! With Glowforge using the cloud for various tasks, I was wondering if it will be possible to run units via Chromebook. I am a leathercrafter outside of my full-time job as a teacher, and have a unit for personal use currently on backorder. Our school is preparing to go 1:1 with Chromebooks for students, and our art department has jumped on the GlowForge train as well. I’m just probing to see if there will be apps/support for operating the lasers via Chromebook, especially since the capabilities I’ve seen so far use Google CloudPrint (correct me if I’m wrong here). What’s the word?

1 Like

Based on this topic in the FAQ page of the Glowforge website, I’d say Chromebooks should work fine. As I understand it, all you need is a browser. You will also need a way of creating designs either by drawing directly on the material to have the Glowforge scan then then cut/engrave or by using vector software.

2 Likes

I would think that if google’s laptop can’t talk to google’s cloud then there is a pretty big problem.

5 Likes

Thanks @johnwills!

1 Like

It doesn’t use Google Cloud Print but we do host the service in Google’s cloud servers.

A Chromebook should work, but it’s not a part of our regular test devices yet, so it’s possible there will be some early bugs to flush out.

2 Likes

TinkerCad to make your custom files. And GlowForge interface to upload. Ought to work fine.

1 Like