Classroom Vent

Any ideas on how to better vent through these old classroom windows? I remove the hose every time I am done. I get a pretty good odor when using wood materials. Enough that it smells in the hallway.

1 Like

Is replacing the sheet of glass in the tilt out window with a sheet of plexiglass an option?

I remember a lot of discussion about venting out different styles of windows in the early days of glowforge, but didn’t pay much attention as I have double hung windows. Search venting and window and be prepared to do a lot of reading.

3 Likes

Block the openings in the window! The smoke and smell is blowing right back in. I would design and cut a blocker set to fill all those openings and use some foam to fill the cracks.

5 Likes

maybe as simple as a wedge-shaped piece of foam with a hole for the hose that fits snugly in the window opening. You could line the inside edge with aluminum HVAC tape.

I would also consider getting a better hose than the foil one they send. It’s very easy to puncture or get pinhole leaks. A lot of us use the plastic dust collection hoses.

6 Likes

No. School won’t let me modify - a new building is being constructed and this will one will be demolished in 2021 so minimal repairs/changes are being approved

Ok, Thanks. I guess I assumed with the hose so far down out the opening it would not come back in

I’d make a wedge shaped box (say out of draft board) that fills the open window and then attach my vent through that. In that window you also have a large gap at the bottom where it hinges out, you might be able to get away with a simple rolled up towel.

3 Likes

The thing about schools is they get vandalized. Darn kids breaking windows. And plexiglass is cheaper than regular glass. Such a sad world we live in. Just sayin’.

1 Like

It would be easy enough to measure all the open spaces and cut some Revolution (cheapest) Plywood sized to fill those spaces, even if you needed to put 2 or 3 together to make up the length. As a point of information the quart sized V-8 juice is perfect size to fit the 4" hose for where you need a cylinder, (or you could just go shopping with a caliper; the two liter Soda bottles are also the correct size but not as stable as they depend on internal pressure.)

With the wood in hand you could make the cover in a day or so from design to install.

3 Likes

If you can find the foam I agree with this. The other solutions require more precision - why not take a utility knife to foam and then stuff? The key of course is finding a block of squishy foam.

1 Like

If you have an old memory foam bed topper, they work really well. Little hard to cut but definitely squishy enough and it doesn’t matter if you cut too large.

2 Likes

At the very least get a heavy tarp and cut a 4” hole in it for the hose, and seal around the hose with duct tape. You could toss the tarp over the window pane when you set up and reel it in when you shutdown.

1 Like

You simply want to block those open spaces. You could start with cardboard, cut and taped. Once you figure out what works, you can make something more permanent if the cardboard doesn’t hold up.

2 Likes

I did this in my garage, and it couldnt be a better solution.

1 Like

Put in a work order and have them vent it through the ceiling??? Unless it’s two stories…