Cleaned machine still does not cut fully (on PG)

Hey there! My Pro machine still has issues cutting fully using PG settings on PG materials. I know I can slow down the cut by 10 or 15 zooms to make it work. I shouldn’t have to.

My question is this: can the support staff adjust or calibrate my machines cut power for the PG default settings ? Kind of like a baseline mapping?

-Greg

We can create and save our own settings now. (And I have had to adjust mine a bit because of the constant humidity around here that causes everything except acrylic to swell.)

There are instructions for how to create your own saved settings for materials here:

Testing and Saving New Settings

Comes in really handy if you happen to live in a place with 70% relative humidity year round. :smile:

4 Likes

Yes, I knew about making your own settings, I was trying to avoid having many different settings for each material and cut. Also I would like to use Proofgrade, and not have to change anything. As it stands my machine has needed extra pews or slowing of the zooms since just about a month or two after I got it. If the laser is losing power over time I would hope they can calibrate it from time to time until it needs replaced.

Are you keeping the lenses and windows cleaned regularly? I think they recommend about every 40 hours of cutting or so, but depending on what you’re cutting, it can need to be done more frequently.

Yup. name of thread is cleaned machine :smiley: I even clean it with Zeiss and followed the cleaning your GF https://glowforge.com/support/topic/cleaning-service-and-moving/cleaning#things-that-need-wiping

1 Like

How much are you cutting? (Total hours so far?) Is it for a business? (i’d expect the power to gradually fall off with heavy use, but I don’t think they can adjust that remotely. It would mean a trip back to the shop, so you might want to wait until the tube goes out.)

Have not cut much, it was bought as expansion to my maker shop. Was planning on going into production soon with it. I am inking a deal with a few up and coming bands and one that is established. I’ve ordered a few hundred($500 ?) or so in proofgrade mats for these projects but have not exceeded 20 or so hours of cutting I would say. I know the tube should slowly go bad even if its just sitting, I would think they should be able to compensate for this in software without needing the machine. At least they should give an option to flat across the board adjust.

They should be able to tell how many cut hours its had right?

Anyhow I wanted to see if anyone else had the issue and if it was resolvable in software by the GF team (seems like it should be) before I email them to ask.

Well, I don’t know but you don’t actually need to email now…posting here opened a ticket for you on the issue. When they see it they’ll let you know if it’s doable.

1 Like

Nope - and that blows me away. I asked support if they could see usage hours and was told they cannot.

Mine has been used TONS over the last 2 years and I’m pretty much to the point where I think I’m going to have to talk to them about having the tube replaced. (I have to slow down to 145-150 to cut through 1/8” cast acrylic)

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear about the ongoing trouble with your Glowforge not cutting through material as expected. In order to take a closer look at this for you, would you please run a test print using default settings? This will help us diagnose the issue.

Here are the steps for the test:

1. Turn off your Glowforge, then turn it back on
  2. We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Place Proofgrade Draftboard in the bed and load the Gift of Good Measure design.
  3. Set the score and engrave steps to ‘ignore.’ Print the Gift of Good measure using the default settings. Allow the print to finish.
  4. When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture of the bed updates.
  5. Check the completed print:
  6. If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut, please let us know the date and time of the print

After the test is complete, please also take photos of the front and back of the test print. You can post the photos here or, if you would prefer to share them privately, you can email them to support@glowforge.com and we’ll take a look. Thank you!

1 Like

Around 10PM EST (7PM PST) 10/22/2019

I cut three of them and I left the scoring on (why not get a few extra gifts :D)
You can see it nearly cuts through the material, almost there.

This is frustrating with draftboard but it is worse with medium leather or thick leather. I know that the PG leather maybe skived a little thinner or thicker, I wish the settings would err on the thicker side though. I’ve also had undercuts with Acrylic, which is why I thought this maybe a growing issue.

It also seems to be hit or miss sometimes I get a full cut and other times not, perhaps the focus is too shallow? I don’t know.

Thanks !

Thank you for running the test print and providing detailed information about the results. Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’m closing this topic and I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.