Cleaning the vent

How do you clean the vent. It started getting smokey in the room

There are multiple parts to clean - including 2 different fans…

2 Likes

Are you using a Compact Filter? If so, turn the dial up to high (all the way to the right) and order a new cartridge.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re running into trouble!

When your Glowforge is properly set up, you may have some harmless odor during printing which will rapidly dissipate. You may also smell something when you open the Glowforge lid after a print is complete. This is not harmful.

However, if you detect a strong, sharp smell that also causes eyes, nose, or throat irritation, or if there is visible smoke escaping while the lid is closed, shut off your Glowforge unit immediately. Smoke and fumes could be entering the room in excessive concentrations.

We’ve created a troubleshooting guide with illustrations. You can see it here: https://glowforge.com/support/topic/troubleshooting/print#excessive-smoke-or-fumes-during-print

I have a method you can use to clean your fan.

First, you’ll need to obtain a can of 3M Novec Electronic Degreaser, which you can purchase from Amazon or Digikey.

That page will walk you through the cleaning process. Brief summary:

1. Turn off and unplug your unit and move it outside. Make sure it’s in a location where it has power and Wi-Fi

2. Using the fan maintenance page, you’ll be able to turn the fan on

3. Following all manufacturer’s safety instructions from 3M, spray the degreaser into the fan while it’s running for approximately 5 - 10 seconds, or until the fan is clean.

4. When you’re done cleaning, turn off your unit to stop the fan, and return it to its usual home. You should now see considerably better performance from your exhaust fan!

Please let us know if you have any questions!

I’ve extracted the logs from your Glowforge, and it looks like you’ve been up and printing since contacting us. It’s been a while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread, so I’m going to close it.