Clicking on more info link on app navigates away and loses all setup

I just spent twenty minutes (I could easily have spent longer) making multiple copies of a design to cut. I used stock settings for medium draftboard. It failed somehow - engraving most of the lines I told it to cut, apparently. I spent a while setting it up again in a new spot on my scrap board, and was about to print when I saw an alert on the side that said “These are not the recommended settings for your material” WTF? It’s medium draftboard, I chose engrave and cut, no modifications. So weird enough already, but since it had obviously failed the first time I clicked the More Info link. That DID NOT OPEN IN A NEW TAB or a popup. So it navigated me away from app.glowforge.com. When I clicked my back button (after finding no useful information whatsoever about why the default settings were not the recommended settings for Medium Draftboard), it rerendered my image, with one copy of my design in the corner, having lost all my arrangement work.

In the first place, it should remember the whole setup and return to where I left off. In the second, since it doesn’t do this, clicking a help/more info link should NOT destroy my work by taking me away from it. It really isn’t hard to include “target=’_new’” in the link. Please be more careful and considerate of your user/patrons’ time and effort.

I have never experienced this. The app has always saved my work to the point I last made changes, even if I go away from the app page.
While I haven’t gone on that specific path, which means you may have found a bug, I can assure you that the system is intended to work as you ask and it does work. I suggest seeing if you can replicate the behavior and document it for Support to look at, as well as providing time and date and timezone so they can possibly look at logs.

Hm. You’re right - other navigations away from the app do seem to allow work (duplication and placement of designs) to be preserved when I come back. I will have to set up and try to replicate the error, which I don’t really understand, and see if the error message link still somehow resets everything. Can’t do it tonight.

When you edit a design on your Workspace, the changes are automatically saved as you make them. That means that if you close your browser, navigate to another page, or just hit refresh, your work will pick up right where you left off. I’m sorry for the trouble you ran into here, and I’ve let the team know about it so we can look into what happened on our end. I’ll be sure to also pass along your feedback about the “More Info” link for material safety opening into the same window.

Regarding the alert you received, I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate the settings for the print you attempted before making this post. It looks like the print settings sent to our servers were defined as Manual settings. Please note that the settings you use will only be seen as Proofgrade settings if you see “Cut”, “Engrave”, or “Score” under the thumbnail image in the left-hand sidebar. If you see numbers, you may have clicked through to “Manual” mode, which means your settings will be interpreted as manual settings even if you haven’t made any changes. If you haven’t made any changes to the settings, you can get back to Proofgrade settings by opening the setting and clicking “Back”.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.