Clock Button Panel Faceplates

I have one VFD clock and two Nixie clocks that I made over the past couple of years. The plan has always been to go back and make faceplates for the button panels once I got my hands on a Glowforge.

Today is that day. They came out awesome. I picked up .022" thick aluminum on black acrylic from Inventables.

I had to do a few test cuts, but engraving at 600/25 and cutting at 200/50 seemed to work pretty well.

face_plate_0038

face_plate_0040

face_plate_0039

I’ve always liked the look of old school stereo equipment and since the clocks are made with vintage nixies and VFD tubes, I wanted them to have that vintage look. The cases are 3D-printed out of wood PLA and stained.

Here they are in action:

DSC_0018-2

DSC_0060

DSC_0004-6

46 Likes

Nice work! :sunglasses: I adore nixie-tube clocks – reminds me of Gemini launches when I was a kid, plus it always seemed like about once a month we had to pull all the vacuum tubes (valves for our British friends) out of our TV and bike down to the drug store to test them. Good times!

5 Likes

Amazing! I’m so impressed by how realistic the metallic acrylics are.

2 Likes

I know right? They look like real metal. It’s awesome. I think everything I make for now on is going to have a panel of some kind.

2 Likes

These are awesome … I especially love the last one with the tubes!

Thanks!

Oh yeah, I like the tubes too - I bought a vintage steampunk tablet charger for hubs one year that looks very similar. :sunglasses:

Get out of town! I mean yes the laser stuff is great, but stained wood PLA? If you don’t mind, what brand was it and what you printing on?

It’s Hatchbox wood PLA printed on a Robo3D R1.

1 Like

Any breakdown of your process or cost for the last one? I’ve loved that design since I finished playing Steins;Gate.

You can find the full build logs on my hobby site and the source files are on the Source Files page in the top menu bar.

VFD CLOCK
IN-12 Nixie Clock
IN-14 Nixie Clock

2 Likes