Coaster mania

I have tried a couple types of cork, and have found that the 1/4", which I would prefer, doesn’t cut so well. It engraves beautifully though, so I’m sure I will find a use for the rest of the sample that I bought. I did find a source for coasters that are precut and that engrave just as nicely. I’ve got a whole batch of samples made now - if only I could buckle down and put them up on my Etsy store!

I’ve been using 1000 speed, 15 power for the engrave with the LPI at 270. Results have been pretty consistent at those settings, so hopefully y’all might find them useful. I cut a template that I used for placing the coasters before engraving. It was hard to keep myself from trying to line things up visually to the coaster instead of relying on my template to keep things centered. That offset makes me crazy. I haven’t tried cutting any 1/8" cork, but am certain that it would cut pretty well. I wanted 1/4" for coasters though so have concentrated on that thickness for samples.

Here are a couple of photos for your amusement.

37 Likes

Completely Understand! Well Done!

2 Likes

Cute! :smile:

2 Likes

Looks like you have the settings nailed! Nicely done!

1 Like

do you mind sharing your source for pre-cut?

I’ve found a number of vendors online. Jelinek Cork (sheet) and Bangor Cork (coasters) are the ones I have bought from so far. Most sell in bulk though, so it depends on how many pieces you think you need for something. There are a number of places where you can get precut shapes too. I think it just depends on what you are looking for and how much you need. If I end up trying another one out I’ll post them too.

1 Like