Combination Lock

A simple combination lock I mainly designed and built to try out a pure fusion 360 end-to-end workflow, using the f360’s manufacturing mode to export the 2d profile with correct kerf compensation + colorific post process. It’s nice not having to jump in to illustrator or inkscape as a intermediate step.

fusion 360 file: http://stuff.janitha.com/laser/combination_lock_v24.f3d

33 Likes

If you haven’t seen them take a look at the ugears line of wooden kits, might give you some inspiration as you develop this.

Previously:
https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=ugears

3 Likes

Very kewl, thank you for sharing :grinning:

1 Like

Welcome. Nice first post.

2 Likes

Very fun! Thank you for the pics!

3 Likes

They makes some really fun mechanisms, it’s been a while since I’ve looked at them and they seem to have a lot more models now. I have one of their models I put together a few months ago (got it at a work function as a company branded giveaway, total coincidence to my interest in laser cutting heh).

3 Likes

Welcome to the community! That’s a cool project! We’ve been waiting for you. :sunglasses: This is a great place to help others or learn from them. As an early adopter, you must have some other adventures you could share?

2 Likes

Very impressed by your project!

3 Likes

Oh that is so cool! The 3D animation was fun to watch. And now I want a wooden combination lock.

2 Likes

umm… WOW!

1 Like

Nice. Mathtias Wandel (woodgears.ca) made one years ago, and later a laser cut version which he has for free on his web site - you might get some ideas from his implementation.

1 Like

Thanks for the warm welcome, and yeah so many awesome projects here. Actually it’s only now that I’m getting my hands dirty with the glowforge, hopefully will have more adventures under my belt in the very near future :slight_smile:

Wow, that site is a goldmine of woodworking, thanks for the link! I was able to find Use FlightsOfIdeas plugin to make a laser version of the combination lock and Wooden combination lock in case anyone else was wondering as well.

His design is a lot more thought out. The dowel rod was definitely a better idea than my rectangular axel (which kept catching on the disks when they were suppose to stay still), and the latch seems to actually move a functional bolt.

I have a feeling I’ll be spending an unreasonable amount of time on his website :slight_smile:

5 Likes

An awesome first post!! Very impressive project!

2 Likes