Completed Catan Board

They’re here, I believe: https://glowforge.com/laser-cut-catan-board

The wood is Curly Maple and I used dye to color it blue after engraving. I finished it all with lacquer to also give it a nice shine.

@markwal is correct. It’s not the coasters, but an actual set that Glowforge commissioned and has the rights to. They have released it for us to use and even sell if we wish.

Man I was aff for a while and missed seeing this. This is crazy! Super cool just for the tiles but the case makes this beyond special. Well done!

2 Likes

They got this for Christmas last year and I’ve added a few bits. One of our fellow GF owners had a Kickstarter for metal dice and I purchased two colors so that they could have FANCY dice with their set.

My parents show it off as much as they can and have gotten a LOT of compliments from people they play with.

3 Likes

Ahh I love it. I love seeing this explosion of creativity manifesting

Let me say…

I love board games. I like Catan. It’s a fine game. Can’t get the family into it though, so I only get to play in VR.

I enjoy that people have 'forged their own Catan boards. We’ve seen quite a few. Many are very nice. Some are wonderfully detailed and beautiful. Yours is certainly one with a level of detail, aesthetic design, and functional design that is a cut above some others! It’s lovely. The gold is possibly my favorite.

But! What really takes the gold ribbon… What, in my mind, earns it 1st prize… What takes it over the top… What makes aliens come visit this planet… IS THAT GORGEOUS BOX! I’m not kidding you when I tell you, I literally had to catch my breath when I saw it. I actually exclaimed out loud “Holy heck!” But, kids, I didn’t say “heck.” It is amazing. I wish I had better words to tell you just how much I love that box.

Great job on it all!

4 Likes

That box was a special kind of pain to make. All the Walnut I had was only 6 inches wide…I needed 13 inches. The top and bottom design are actually glued together and supported on a piece of Hardboard underneath, and then a layer of Adhesive felt covers all of that.

I know I’m exposing the dirty secret of that top and bottom of the box, but the technique could be used by others. Just cause the piece you have isn’t large enough, there are creative ways to get a face to be bigger.

4 Likes

I have no doubt. But I’d say your hard work payed off here. You’ve made a thing of beauty. This is a game that could actually be passed on for generations. Bravo!

3 Likes

AWESOME!!! Simply amazing!

I saw the previous post partly completed but somehow missed this. very awesome! I am wondering: if you have the ability to make things thinner, why did you not edge glue two or even three pieces of thicker material and plane it down.
Alternatively an interlocking design would allow two pieces to be made separately and then fit together. Likewise if the interlocking part on the edge was symmetrical it might work upside down as well. (or a second set upside down for a start?)

2 Likes

To address the edge gluing question, I really wanted to not have much in the way of the “lines” where the edges would meet. With careful attention and lots of work you can help that line to disappear, but I could also solve it easier by making something interesting on the top and instead of hide the lines, I can “show off” the lines and turn it into a feature.

Interlocking would definitely have also solved it, I just chose to go a different way on this one. I had numerous design ideas and finally decided on this one (all of the pieces were cut on the laser btw).

2 Likes