Computer Bag

Thanks for that hearty compliment! We shall see I guess:)

It’s pretty basic as it’s a prototype but I have a matching pocket on the inside that uses the same stitching holes as the outer one. I did add a little space to it by stretching it out a little so it doesn’t pucker when it’s loaded with my chapstick, pens or whatever. I made sure that the pockets will hold a large phone. When I made one for my husband I added some smaller pockets for pens and field notes etc. but for mine, all I wanted was a single pocket inside. No computer sleeve etc. Just basic and straightforward design! :slight_smile: Do you do leatherwork too?

4 Likes

I was wondering when some awesome leather projects were going to start show up! I love it!

1 Like

While I’m working on a leather project, I am not at all adept. I’ve just done one or two things since I got the Glowforge. The machine does make possible things I wouldn’t have considered doing before, though.

2 Likes

gorgeous and practical!

2 Likes

I love this! and have been looking at a similar bag. I haven’t tried leather yet but really want to. This may be the encouragement I need.

1 Like

Do it! :smiley: You got this!!

Today is my first (Glowforge) day and that is the inspiration I needed. It might sounds silly to you, but please share even basic things you’re willing to share (prints, drafts, pictures while making) so the newbies like me can learn. Thanks for being awesome.

1 Like

Great design, and beautiful craftsmanship! Wow. I admire folks who hand sew such projects! (I machine sew my leather, which has its pros/cons).

Did you get your Glowforge set to cut the leather? I was messing about for a while figuring out the best settings for cutting my different leathers, and opted to concentrate on etching, though need to get back to fine tuning for cutting.

1 Like

That looks great, love the design and conversion ability :slight_smile:

Oh man, I had a learning curve for sure! I even ended up returning my first glowforge because of alignment issues…but after that it’s been smooth sailing! And any problems I’ve had have been taken care of swiftly without any trouble. Make sure you pick up a pair of calipers at your local harbor freight - they’re essential when working with non-proofgrade materials. Open your window when cutting leather (and plywood, draftboard etc.)! :stuck_out_tongue: And do tons of experimenting! The possibilities are endless!

1 Like

Yep! This whole bag (with the exception of the strap) was cut on the glowforge. To cut leather you need to have calipers to measure the thickness. I like to use full power + speed 250 or less. That works well for pretty much any thickness of leather I cut. One note about leather though - veg tan is the best kind to cut on a laser. If you’re trying to cut an oil tanned or chrome tanned leather you’ll have some trouble - it can create a flame and scorch your project and usually doesn’t cut all the way through. It’s best to stick with a veg tan leather for best results I would say. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Love it! Need to read up on the process of designing things like this.

Thanks! I have a snap gauge for measuring thickness, but I do mostly get oil or chromium tanned for my bags & guitar straps, but will look for more veg tanned for projects I want to laser cut thicker leather!