Computer screen acrylic floral table lamp

The flowers and foliage are made from the acrylic that comes from television and monitor screens. The acrylic varies in thickness and clarity depending on the type of screen from which it comes. Most of what I use is about .1 inch. I have made .svg files of outlines for each flower and foliage type that the glowforge will cut. Each flower is made from different sizes of the same outline. You can see in one of the pictures where I have laid out some flowers before shaping and painting. Each layer is painted with airbrush or by hand and then clear-coated. Then I shape the layers using a regular heat gun for the bigger pieces and a really small heat gun that’s meant for soldering for fine detail shaping. (Wear clean white leather gloves!) Once shaped the layers are hot glued together. A stem is glued to the back of the flower. It’s been quite a trial and error process that I am still refining. My acrylic is free since it comes from an electronic recycling center, so I am able to get away with it. I am sharing this to show this amazing community another dimension that is possible. And I have to give credit to davidaspitzer for the inspiration of heating and shaping the acrylic.

The vases are used from a second hand store. I drill holes in the bottom for the wires to get to the LED lights inside. The blue color comes from spray painting the inside of the vase with the blue. Since I don’t want the light to come out the sides of the vase I have to coat the blue with a couple coats of white and then protect the paint from scratches by lining it with white paper.

40 Likes

That’s very cool!!

3 Likes

Beautiful work, and what a great way to reuse the materials!

4 Likes

Totally amazing stuff! Once you start bending it is like a prairie-dog village of rabbit holes. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

These are really stunning …very intricate. I have heat-formed acrylic a little, but nothing quite like this.

1 Like

Your work is stunning.

1 Like

You make beautiful art from cast off materials. I love it on so many levels.

4 Likes

Beautiful work! That’s taking trash to treasure to a whole new level :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Beautiful work! Love that you recycled to create.

2 Likes

This is brilliant on so many levels! Words cannot describe my jaw drop or my brains jaw drop. It’s beautiful, it’s green, it’s creative, and so jaw dropping!!!

1 Like

I’m tremendously impressed! You’ve really given recycle a whole new twist.

1 Like

These look so lifelike! I can’t get over the level of detail you have achieved.

1 Like

WOW! Terrific work! BEautiful!

Wow…those are unbelievable beautiful. I can see you have found yourself a way to make some really unique things. :blush:

1 Like

I love the multi-layered flowers, the petals turned out wonderfully!

1 Like

Totally amazing!!! i love your creativity!