Full time, Seattle-based, includes relocation. Learn more about this and other jobs at https://glowforge.com/jobs.
Why we need you
One of Glowforge’s key innovations is our dual-camera system. One camera provides a wide-angle view of the entire cutting surface and one provides an up-close, detailed view of the material near the head. Our cloud-based software processes the images from these cameras and is the key to making Glowforge amazing. We use the cameras for a huge variety of features: our drag-and-drop UI for design placement on material, the ability to cut and engrave a user’s hand-drawn sketch, aligning material that’s been moved, and even more clever tricks we haven’t shared publicly yet.
Our team is composed of software generalists and we know that you’re one too, but we particularly want your passion and thoughtfulness around computer vision. While you’ll do lots of things here, you’ll be asked to take on some of our most challenging image processing capabilities, and will spread your knowledge and experience through an organization that is eager to learn. We’ve just scratched the surface on the types of functionality this system can offer; we need you to push the software powering this technology further than anyone thought possible.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
Our whole software team (and frankly whole company) pitches in on anything that needs to be done, but you’re going to bring some welcome expertise to the table in computer vision and image recognition. That means you’ll be a part of a larger team building the software for Glowforge 1.0 and beyond, and it means you’ll be able to jump right in, streamlining code we’ve got already and building out new features soon. All in all, you’ll do this:
- Architecting and coding fascinating new machine vision capabilities.
- Teaching your expertise to your peers and learning from them in turn.
- Participating in planning sessions with the whole product team and helping to build the user stories and specifications that will drive development.
- Stretching your coding skills in new directions and pitching in when your colleagues need help.
- Most importantly, anything and everything needed to delight our customers.
You need these qualifications
- You write copious amounts of thoughtful, high-quality, well tested code.
- You have a clear understanding of computer vision, and an ability to implement CV algorithms using both toolkits and original code.
- You’re excited about being personally responsible for making Glowforge successful, and by the uncertainty and wonder that comes with building a product customers love.
- You’re thoughtful about software development, design patterns, and algorithms.
- You have a four year degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience, and have done practical computer vision work.
- You have a deep desire to create a magnificent, iconic product… and still know that you sometimes have to make some tradeoffs to ship quickly.
It would be nice if…
- You have practical experience with OpenCV, Python, and/or C++.
- You are comfortable down to the hardware level, so you can participate in discussions about camera selection, lens design, and interior lighting.
- You know all the capture-time tricks, like averaging multiple images to get subpixel resolution.
- You’ve been responsible for shipping a product that people love.
- You’re used to writing web services and designing for the *ilities (testability, maintainability, extensibility, scalability, and security-ility).
Please send us your resume, plus something so we can get a sense of your work. For example, we’d love to see your Github account or links to projects you’ve worked on.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.