Concert Ukulele made on a glowforge

I just finished a ukulele body using the glowforge. The plan comes from Tammy Baalman. I stuck to the plan except I wanted something different for the sides of the body. I had a supply of Padauk veneer which I adhered to the living hinge sides with contact cement. It came out quite nice and I am playing it daily with the help of the yousician app. The strings are nylon so my fingertips are not bleeding but they are sore and beginning to form stronger skin. I used the new circular pattern on the forge to make a double helix design around the sound hole

80 Likes

B :heart_eyes:utiful!

11 Likes

Very impressive!!

Nicely done. I am in awe!

Does the internal living hinge effect the sound generated?

13 Likes

Wow that is stunning.

you’ll have to post some video of you playing some time!

14 Likes

very nice! i found her video describing the build, too.

25 Likes

I could imagine the sound leaving the sides of the Ukulele through the living hinge. This is why I laminated the sides with veneer. I achieved a really nice bond with the spray adhesive. Next time I will use tightbond 3 adhesive instead of regular carpenters glue. Most luthiers use hide glue that has to be heated in a glue pot.

13 Likes

That is amazing!

9 Likes

It’s gorgeous! You did a lovely job on it.

8 Likes

A very nice build. How does it sound?

9 Likes

That’s awesome! Makes me want to make a guitar body.

6 Likes

Grand slam!!!

6 Likes

Nice! Wow! Inspirational! This is definitely going on my to do list!!

6 Likes

Very impressive! What a beautiful instrument!

5 Likes

WOW!!! Spectacular! Amazing job…

5 Likes

That is amazing!

4 Likes

I’m impressed. Very nice!

7 Likes

Very nice! I’ve always loved the sounds of a ukulele, and almost bought one when we used to have a timeshare on Maui. Then we met a guy in Arizona who was from Hawaii and was a master ukulele maker. He showed us one he had just finished and was going to deliver to his customer. It was absolutely beautiful. He said he sold them from $800 on up. The one he showed us was $1800.00. I told him as much as I wanted one, I couldn’t afford his! He played that one for us and the sound was so perfect. And now I can make my own! So thank you @dobsky8006 for sharing this! And thank you @shop for the video!

6 Likes

I’m gonna make this… thanks for sharing!!! Great job!

3 Likes

Wow impressive work!!

4 Likes

Looks great! Makes me want to make one. Love that the files are available. Thank you.!

4 Likes