Continuous focus issues

I use my Glowforge for my home business and I use it quite a bit. A couple weeks ago, there was a small fire due to some loose backing and it melted a little spot on the print head carriage belt. That little spot caused my prints to jump a few millimeters, rendering them unusable. We contacted support and a new belt was sent to me.
We installed it early this week and now cannot get the Glowforge to maintain focus over an entire print. It is etching, scoring or cutting just slightly off, but visually noticeable. My designs are designed to fit together exactly and there is no room for 2-3 mm variations, or scoring at the cut line instead of the proper location on the print.
We have contacted customer support 3x, but are still in the same situation. We have refocused using proof grade materials a dozen or more times. We have tried re-squaring the arm.
This all started after we replaced the belt. We have been down for over 1 week now and am falling terribly behind.
Any other avenues or suggestions?

1 Like

FYI - sending multiple emails opens multiple tickets - as does posting here - which slows down their response. In the future just do one. If you didn’t receive an instantaneous response to your first email then either your emails aren’t reaching them or theirs aren’t reaching you - check your spam and add @glowforge.com to your whitelist. If yours didn’t reach them then posting here will let them know there’s an issue with email.

Focusing issues often happen when the machine is dirty - and a fire (even a small one) can make it really dirty. You should clean all the lenses and mirrors (5 different locations) and if you’re still having the issue, post pictures of them here so a staff member can rule that out. Scoring rather than cutting also would indicate dirty lenses (or a lens upside down if the line is fat as well as weak)

A new head (or in this case belt) would also be a good time to run your calibration again - most folks get sub mm results after running that.

5 Likes

Sounds to me that you don’t have your new belt tensioned properly.

1 Like

I’m sorry for the ongoing trouble with your Glowforge. I see that you emailed us about this, and I’ve sent you a response with next steps there, so I’m going to close this thread and we’ll continue to assist you via email.