Cooling Alert AGAIN

PLEASE HELP me to understand! I have been in “cooling mode” for over (2) weeks. I have my machine in a 70 degree room AND while I am printing I run a fan. This is the second time this has happened. I don’t use my machine often. I haven’t even printed/sold a fraction of items to cover the cost of the unit. It has been about 6 months since I purchased the machine and I cut on average 1-2 jobs per month.

The first time the machine went into “cooling mode” I shut it off for about two weeks and came back and it it was no longer in cooling mode. This time I cut it off and it has been two weeks and customer support is sporadic in responses with “support“. Yesterday I get an email stating that “unfortunately I have to replace this $7000 machine due to corrosion“. Corrosion? I only cut acrylic and wood for the most part the wood was given to me by Glowforge in my initial purchase package. and I always use masking over the items. If corrosion does exist in the machine, Can someone please explain to me how it is that my machine being stuck in “cooling “ is a direct result of corrosion? And /or how the corrosion sent the machine into “cooling “ mode?

1 Like

The temperature sensor is very sensitive to corrosion and this will give very out of range temp readings. I believe they are using a thermistor to measure temps, which uses resistance to determine temp. Corrosion can change the resistance value and send things out of whack.

Did they see something in the pics that led them to conclude it was corrosion? This is generally from cutting materials that off gas some kind of bad stuff that leads to corrosion in the right conditions (example, pvc-based products, etc.).

1 Like

Hi, just in case this simple thing was not mentioned–please make sure the right side and bottom of the machine are clear, as this is where the air intake is. Even a small piece of paper that slips under it will get drawn up and can block many of the vents as the GF is sucking in fresh air and thus decreasing it ability to cool itself down… (first hand lesson here).

But also if the exhaust is blocked, the GF can’t cool down–the fan can get gunked up fast, reducing efficiency, or some other obstruction in the duct/vent outlet? Pending the material you use, this can happen really fast, too.

Hope it’s that and not an issue harder to fix…

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.