Cooling down alert! help

I have a Basic. Everytime I start a cut, it doesnt even move before saying “cooling down your print will automatically resume in a few minutes”. Temperature is set at 72 in my office. I have cleaned all the fans, etc.
HELP! I have orders due, and this has been holding me up all week now!!!

The upper end of the operating range for a basic is 75º. Your thermostat setting is just an approximate temperature; it could be that the actual ambient temp is higher than that. Do you have a thermometer you can put inside your Glowforge to measure what temperature it’s actually seeing?

1 Like

I literally turned my air conditioner down to 68 and sat my glowforge directly infront of it and it still wouldnt work. I have to get a thermometer, but I am almost positive that temperature is not the actual problem. I was working fine this past weekend.

You’ve opened a support ticket by posting here, so they’ll be along soon to help, and will be able to tell from your logs whether it’s actually a temperature issue.

If you’re venting outside, keep in mind that warmer air can come in through the vent hose, so it may be warmer inside your machine. The temperature of the fluid in the reservoir is what really matters, so if it has gotten too warm it will take a little while for it to cool down sufficiently to print.

3 Likes

Thanks for your help!!
Hopefully I will be able to figure it out soon!

The comment about venting is very relevant. If you have an open vent to the outside, the natural airflow through the home will draw outside air through the machine. This is why it’s important to know the actual temperature inside your machine (when you have issues like this.)

1 Like

I have always vented outside and haven’t been having any issues. It has gotten cooler outside this week actually. I will definitely be investing in a thermometer for my machine! But I still don’t think that is the problem I have this time.

Quite possibly a sensor. Just helps to check.

2 Likes

Our weather here in PNW has gotten cool and humid, so I ordered a non-wifi temperature/humidity sensor from Amazon, Goabroa Mini Hygrometer Thermometer Digital Indoor Humidity Gauge Monitor with Temperature Meter Sensor Fahrenheit (℉) just so I can stay on top of this.

1 Like

Thanks for the link! Ordering one now!

1 Like

You’re welcome. I figured simple was the way to go, so no wifi interference.

1 Like

I use these (I have a couple around my home) - nice because you can see what the extremes have been recently, not just what it is at that moment.

(they were $8 when I bought them in 2017!!)

4 Likes

Thats neat!!! Thank you!

Do you know how long they usually take to respond?

Typically within one business day.

1 Like

Thank you for reaching out so we can help. I’m so sorry to hear about the trouble with the cooling message.

I extracted the logs from your Glowforge and have made a small change on our end.

Could you please try a test print and let me know if you are still having any trouble?

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.