Cooling down, then amber light

I have fought with my Glowforge all day, for 11 months, any issues were managed with the use of this group and search.

Last night is started stating “cooling down”, this am, it continues to…I have:

cleaned it and all the fans, including the exhaust

room temp is 69 degrees

restarted computer, cleared browser, reset modem

ensured coolant sensor wires were not obstructing path

ensured the vents were clear and actually raised the machine up on wood.

checked the white cable.

emailed support with no response from this am

occasionally it will have an amber light, but I was able to get around that with the resetting of the modem

it will occasionally cut for about 2.5 mins, before going back to cooling down.

Any other suggestions?

What model of machine do you own? basic, pro?

I have the plus from before they changed it

When you raised it up on wood, is there anything obstructing the intake on the underside of the machine at the front right?

no

Support can check the logs, but it might be a faulty sensor.

I’m sorry that you’ve run into trouble and your unit is showing a persistent cooling error message. To investigate this for you, I’d like to take a look at the inside of your unit as well as the connections to your print head.

First, there are two key connections I’d like you to check for me. Could you please do the following?

1. Turn off your Glowforge.
  2. Holding only the finished black surfaces, grasp the printer head as shown. Pull gently up and back to disengage the magnets and remove the head.
  3. There is a small tab in the center of the wire ribbon. Push down fully on the tab to release it, and gently pull the wire ribbon plug from the printer head.
  4. Take a clear photo of the gold pins inside the printer head where you just unplugged the wire ribbon. It should look like this.
  5. Pick up the printer head and wire ribbon. Make sure the tab on the wire ribbon is facing up. Slide the ribbon back into the head until it clicks.
  6. As shown, lower the printer head over the metal plate so that it rests next to the two round posts. Then push it gently away from you – you’ll feel a “click” as magnets pull the printer head until it sits snugly atop the metal plate.
  7. Pull the laser arm all the way forward.
  8. Reach over the laser arm, and to the left of the inside of the unit and you’ll see this circuit board:
  9. Take a photo of this board.
  10. Turn your Glowforge back on.
  11. Send us the photos you took in step 4 and step 9.

Next, please take the following photos of your exhaust system:

1. The exhaust fan from the inside of the unit. To capture this photo:

2. Turn your Glowforge off

3. Open the lid

4. Using both hands, gently pull the printer arm towards you as shown below:

5. Move your phone or camera inside the Glowforge on the left-hand side, past the metal rail, pointed away from you towards the exhaust hose, to capture a photo like the one below:

6. A photo of where your exhaust hose attaches to the Glowforge, where your exhaust hose exits the room, and the path your exhaust hose takes from your Glowforge to the exterior vent or Compact Filter

7. The exhaust connection on the back of your Glowforge, with the exhaust hose removed:

Once we have these images, we’ll review everything and follow up with next steps.

I received your email and the request to continue to assist you there, so I’m going to close this thread.