Cooling during print

I’ve been using my (amazing) machine for over a week now and the last couple prints have paused mid way to cool for a couple seconds and once before a print. Its not warm in my place. Not a huge deal but just wanted to make sure this wasn’t an indicator for something bigger?

FWIW another user had a similar problem and his place was 78* F. His stopped three times for something like 5 minutes a piece in an originally quoted 26 minute burn time.

Prepare for the onslaught of helpful tips like ensuring proper ventilation, and noting the GF suggested operating range temps.

2 Likes

Lolol, vents are all clear and operating room temps are fine

I’ve been having this issue as of recent as well. It cools down several times for a half an hour job. Which doubles the cut time. I tried cutting a basic rectangle that was 18 x 4 inches and it stopped at least three times. Machine is indoors and ambient temp is normal.

1 Like

Because those are bad things to be aware of and community support is also bad.

The temp sensor/cooling pauses are predicated by a reading from the coolant temperature sensor, rather than the ambient air temp. Therefore, running near upper threshold temps on a job could certainly bump one over the coolant max temp.

But, I know you know all of this because you’re an industrial laser expert operator. Most people here aren’t.

2 Likes

It would be nice to see coolant temp in the gfui.
Room temp “normal” is incredibly vague though. If its 75F, I suspect a non-pro can hit its cooling down needs quite quickly and in the summer I would consider 75 cool for room temp :).

3 Likes

Me too! I’d love to have an entire status/diagnostic screen with end-user pertinent sensor info (WiFi signal strength, IP address, coolant temp, etc).

4 Likes

The UI temp reading is a great idea. It would be nice to be able to adjust our workflow according to what the unit will tolerate.

2 Likes

I somehow deleted my post on accident, remade this one.

It would be possible to 3d print a cap for the coolant reservoir with a passthrough to allow a watertight grommet and liquid rated thermocouple linked to something akin to an arduino or RasPi Zero W to post to a simple HTML page. Of course you could also measure internal ambient temp, humidity, and if you were feeling froggy and could reach it, also monitor temps of the PSU, but that would require due caution for circuit isolation. I’ve been thinking of a way to create an inductive load sensing circuit to work with a RasPi program to turn on my exhaust/filter blower and have automatic post cool down shut off.

Raspberry Pi “Nanny Cam” has camera, and temp, & humidity…

Wouldn’t take much to add the waterproof temperature sensor (low temp)

3 Likes

I am wondering if increasing Airflow might be an option, or if the key parts getting too hot were not where airflow would do any good?

on edit: Do the folks having the problem have some sort of assist like a vent fan or scrubber?

1 Like

Thanks for the discussion and suggestions!

Your Glowforge Basic features a closed-loop liquid cooling system that uses the air from the room to remove heat. It is designed to be used in an operating environment between 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 Celsius) and 75 degrees Fahrenheit (24 Celsius). Printing outside these ranges may cause your unit to wait to start, or to pause periodically for cooling.

We’re continuing to refine the operating temperature for your Glowforge. We err on the side of keeping your unit safe rather than risk operating temperatures that could damage your unit.

You said it’s not warm in your place – do you know the ambient temperature?

1 Like

I’m closing this topic since we’ve replaced the unit.

1 Like