Cooling issues making me sad...and mad

I have never in my life posted anything anywhere so please be kind. I am so disappointed in my glowforge. It cools more than it cuts. I can use it for approx 2mins then it goes into cooling mode. Sometimes this is pretty quick and sometimes seems like forever. It has now started cooling as soon as I hit print. It is well below the suggested temps, air exhaust clear, intake clear, I took the hose off and that’s not dirty not blocked. It is sitting by a patio door, I have only used it late at night and have been desperate enough to crack the door to let COLD air in and I mean cold as in 12 degrees outside. This does the trick but this is also completely ridiculous. I am at a loss and am experiencing some heavy buyers remorse at this point. In a 8 hour period last night I managed two pieces of tile each taking about an hour and not back to back. After the initial 2min or so cool down neither of these cuts stopped mid stream to cool. The next thing I tried about and hour later with a duration of 10 seconds never got done due to the cooling issue. Any suggestions I would gladly accept. I have the pro model. One more thing that Im not sure matters the first time I used it I could clearly see liquid coursing through Buzz Lightyear’s veins I no longer see this, no liquid, no bubbles, nothing but this may be normal. I have also sat for hours reading posts on this issue but I am not finding answers that work. On the plus side the tiles I did are awesome.

2 Likes

Losing all your coolant would certainly do that. Like running your car without water, it would overheat in a snowstorm.

How would I lose coolant? Should I be seeing it? I have never seen any liquid leaking from anywhere. I did see what appears to be a holding tank on the left side, reminded me of the place you put windshield cleaner in a car.

You will have to wait till support sees this and your posting it here opens a support ticket

Could raise that issue, but if I had anything overheat that way a lack of coolant would raise that thought first. They can look at the logs but I suspect that they will need it to go back to Seattle.

1 Like

You will never see any liquid in the tube after the first time turning it on. This is completely normal. However, if I had to guess I would say your unit has a thermostat problem, so you will have to get an answer from Support on that one. If so, warranty replacement is likely.

8 Likes

Once it purges the bubbles it looks like there is no liquid, when in fact it is entirely full of liquid. It’s just hard to see.

If it was delivered without enough coolant, you’d know, because you never would have gotten rid of the bubbles.

If you had a leak since delivery, you’d know.

So my guess is you have a full coolant tank and something else is wrong with the machine.

I am sure Support will take care of you.

2 Likes

I am having the same issue. I turn it on first thing, and before it even cuts, it’s cooling. It sits on cooling so long sometimes I have to turn it off and lose my jobs. I did a deep clean yesterday, and propped it up about 4" off the table top, with 2 fans blowing air underneath it, and I ran it for 3 hours without issue. Turn it on today, and can’t run it for more than 5 minutes before it sits stuck on cooling. Temp gun reads below the 75 degree threshold for the Pro model. I am seriously considering giving this machine back. It’s been more headache than anything. I’ve not even had it for 2 months.

get a ticket started. then they can look at the logs to determine if there is a fault.

I ordered mine on 12-28-18 and received it on 1-4-19. It sat unopened until about 2 weeks ago. I am remodeling my shop and I wanted to wait until that was done to open it to avoid having to move it. It has been really cold so I have been able to open the patio door about 6 inches and have been able to use it that way. Which is just ridiculous and it is vented out the window beside the door which lets the nasty smells back into the house. I have read people put them on wire shelves, buckets of ice, fans, ac beside them.elevating them. None of these “ideas” should even be necessary.The temps where mine is sitting require me to wear ugg boots and a coat because I am forced to stand by that open door.

1 Like

How do I open a ticket? It was my understanding that if I post here then support would see that. I thought I read not to email and post on the same issue, but I could be mistaken.

You opened a ticket. @ca_worth was replying to the other poster. They need to start their own thread for a ticket to be opened.

Yes what JB said. :slight_smile:

I agree 100%! All of these work arounds should not be necessary for a brand new machine that costs as much as it does. I have my window wide open now, and I am STILL getting a cooling issue here and there. My temp gun is reading 69 degrees underneath where the air intake is. I am well below the threshold. I did send an email explaining everything I have already done, and their response was like they didn’t even read what I said; because they want me to repeat everything I already sent them in the email. I’ve very frustrating. If they don’t rectify this issue, I am returning it and going with a MUSE machine. At least that one comes with a rotary attachment and can cut up to 5" thick.

1 Like

Does GF refund money if a unit isn’t performing? I know that they will replace a machine but had not seen anyone get cash back after a delivery.

I was wondering the same thing. I’m betting it would not be an easy process if at all. I was unaware of the 5 day window to open it. I read that and about panicked. Mine sat for 2 weeks after arrival. I was waiting to open it until remodel was done but ended up opening it and sitting in the dining room just to make sure it worked, which so far not very well. I have wondered where people store that ginormous box. A new one is over 200 $'s. I have mine so I can repackage it for the move, but honestly for the long haul where do people keep that box?

2 Likes

I keep mine under the roof rafters.

2 Likes

Mine is in our garage sitting on…and covered by…plastic tarps

1 Like

Thanks for reaching out, and I’m so sorry for the trouble. Your Glowforge Pro features a closed-loop liquid cooling system that uses the air from the room to remove heat. It’s boosted by a solid-state thermoelectric cooler that allows for heavier use at higher ambient temperatures than the Basic. It is designed to be used when the temperature next to your Glowforge is between 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 Celsius) and 81 degrees Fahrenheit (27 Celsius). To check, put a room thermometer next to the right hand side of the Glowforge; it draws in air from underneath, on the right.

I’m looking into your report now with our engineers, but I’m afraid I’ll need just a few more details so we can investigate further:

1. If possible, place a thermometer next to your Glowforge on the right hand side and measure the temperature there; if not, estimate the room temperature
  2. Take a picture of the exhaust hose behind your Glowforge that includes the part where it connects to your Glowforge, and the part where it exits the room. If you’d rather not post those photos to this thread, you can send them to us at support@glowforge.com.

Thank you in advance!

1 Like

Hi @mandbpromo! We try to keep to one topic per post in the Problems and Support section. Since we’re already working on this with you via email, I’m happy to follow up with you there so we can take a closer look. I’m sorry for the frustration. I’ll be in touch shortly.

Never seen anyone say they got one. It seems to be warranty replacement is the only option. For most of us that’s been fine. If someone were really adamant about getting their money back they’d likely need a lawyer claiming UCC warranty of merchantability and that’s not likely worth it as the costs to pursue would likely exceed any recovery. Unless one was a lawyer & doing it for themselves (& even then they’d probably be better off spending their time on income producing lawerying). :slightly_smiling_face: