Copyright checking in the cloud

I’m in the market for a second machine and today I spoke with a top from full spectrum laser and he said whenever we upload to the glowforge cloud the images undergo a copyright check and that’s why it stalls some uploads up to 20 minutes. I’ve never heard of this or such a delay is this an actual thing?

1 Like

Fake news. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

18 Likes

Complete baloney.
(Wouldn’t listen to an FSL salesman about the Glowforge.) :smile:

15 Likes

lol, no.

10 Likes

I’m leaning towards a basic as my back up machine but the rotary add on for the muse is a nice plus but not sure it’s worth an extra 4000

1 Like

There is no master copyright database to check.

There are services that let you register your images, and then they scan the internets to see if they show up somewhere. In principle Glowforge could use a service like that to see if the picture you uploaded was poached from somewhere.

But there is no evidence that they do anything like this.

6 Likes

Easily disproved. Let us all try it out. The mouse and the droids would surely trigger it.

That is just a super indication of the shenanigans folks can get up to these days.

I am not current on all the back posts but I have at least opened every topic. This is the first I have ever seen.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t listen to an FSL salesman about FSLs. Credibility is not their strong suit

16 Likes

That’s what I hear, but I’ve never talked to one. :wink:

1 Like

Not only is Glowforge not doing copyright checking, that’s a pretty intractable technical problem (especially the subtleties of Fair Use). The best example of an actual system doing this now is YouTube’s ContentID and, it’s terrible – easy to game, heavily abused, wildly unjust and poorly moderated. Lots of people are furious with them over it.

If Google can’t do it with all of their resources, why would a company like Glowforge even dabble in it?

More detail if you want it:

8 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I’m not laughing at you or that this could be a thing; I’m rofl at the salesperson.

Under the assumption what he is really saying is, “We’re faster because we don’t scan for IP issues,” can be taken to mean, “you can use our product to steal other people’s IP.” And that right there is the guy selling his company into a giant legal liability. If it weren’t so laughable.

9 Likes

It’s a total turnoff for me when sales people pull this nonsense.

10 Likes

As some top folks like to say, “Fake News”. :wink:

3 Likes

I wonder how the EU’s copyright directive of this past year plays out with the Glowforge. Would Glowforge have a responsibility to ensure that their servers screen out infringing designs?

Most likely not since they aren’t a platform displaying to everyone what is going on. But how does that work out with public forums like Discourse hosted apps?

2 Likes

FSL is pulling your leg. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Good questions! That EU directive is another train wreck in this area. We’ll have to see what legislation actually results. I am sure that it will work out as well as a directive insisting the sky be green.

(Primer here, if you don’t know what we are talking about.)

4 Likes

Just to provide official confirmation: this is false. Creative, but false.

12 Likes

I assumed so. I was almost sold on the full spectrum but once a company starts to lie about a competitor they lose me quick. If you guys made a deeper forge with a rotary I would buy it in a heartbeat by the way. A rotary is the only reason I’m looking at other lasers.

6 Likes

Thank you - I appreciate the vote of confidence!

5 Likes

Never trust someone that has to bash another company to sell you their product

7 Likes