Corners consistently not square when all steps follow, square when some are skipped

Note, these are the first prints after camera calibration. My test came out perfect, I was excited, until I actually used it.

I thought maybe had warping, but no. The results are so consistent that I think it’s software.

Both vertical lines of this are off square, they appear to be parallel (so you only see how off one side is).

So to create this I have a layer with the letters, a layer with the stars, and then the rectangle.

I do one cut with everything, then one cut without the letters and stars layers. The name layer didn’t line up with the rectangle layer.

I did another rectangle and that lined up with the previous rectangle, but not the name cut.

So I did another name cut. It lined up with the first name cut.

Then I thought, maybe I should do the rectangle cut first and then the other layers.

No luck.

This is 3 name layers on top of each other. Their edges line up exactly. The two solid rectangles also line up on all edges with each other.

Again the rectangles are the same file as the name ones, just with the name and star steps skipped.

1 Like

Your gantry is not square to the side rails. With the power off, you gently pull it away from the back, then use a framing square or similar to carefully square it up. There’s more detailed instructions here somewhere.

It’s not uncommon, and no big deal to correct: https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=square%20gantry

4 Likes

How would that explain the cuts that turned out ok, the plain rectangle ones?

Is that lightweight material? Was it pinned down? Did you cut the rectangle last? (I’m wondering if the air assist could have shifted it while it was moving over the material to cut the letters out.)

Might be easier to ask…which one is square…the plain rectangle or the one with the cutouts?

The material is 1/8" mdf.

There are 5 sheets in total. Two are plain rectangles, those corners are square. There are 3 with the letters cut out. Those are not, and they are off the same way.

I put them all on top of each other, wasn’t sure how to demonstrate the consistency of the cuts.

Order of operation:
Sheet1:
Cut with all steps, order of steps, Name, stars, rectangle

Sheet2:
Shut off stars and letters layer. Rectangle only. Noticed it didn’t line up post cut. Didn’t grab a square, thought maybe I didn’t place it right (I was distracted), SO:

Sheet3:
Another rectangle. Still didn’t line up with sheet 1, so checked and realized it was sheet 1 with the issue . Sheets 2 and 3 are identical.

Sheet4:
Stars, letters, rectangle. Didn’t line up with sheets 2 and 3, but does with sheet 1. I was angry but figured maybe something happens after cutting letters and stars. so

Sheet5:
Order: Rectangle letters stars. Took it out, and it lines up with sheet1, but not 2 or 3.

If it was shifting, the letter sheets wouldn’t line up. If it was out of square, sheets 2 and 3 would be just as off, at least I think it would be.

What program are you using to create the SVG file?

Can you zip the file and load it up here so someone can take a look at it? (If you can, both the original file in whatever program you used to create it and the SVG file for comparison.)

It might be something from the rendering software, but seeing the original file might show something causing it. (It shouldn’t be doing that if it starts out in the same file.)

john.zip (2.9 KB)

I used inkscape.

Okay, I’ll take a look as soon as I can get downstairs to the main computer. AWO. (After workout.) :grin:

Sorry, I got held up. I’d do a couple of things to test it…give the text, the stars and the rectangle each a different stroke color. No Fill color in any of them. Then copy that onto a 20" x 12" canvas size background and resave the SVG. (Was going to test that here, but staff has already responded.)

I took a quick look at the file, and there is definitely only one rectangle in it (and it’s definitely a true rectangle). I think @eflyguy is on the right track with looking for a gantry misalignment issue.

Thank you so much for your patience.

@elfguy is correct, and I have a method you can use to reset your laser arm. All you’ll need is a large square layout tool with a foot. You’ll find the instructions here.

Let me know how it goes!

I’ll give it a go once I find my square. I’m mostly confused by the ones that turned out fine in the middle of the bunch.

You’d think they’d be off too.

Turns out they were all off square! It was alignment just as you said. I think I have it fixed now.

Now to figure out what to do with all my mistakes.

2 Likes

I’m so glad you were able to resolve your issue! I am going to close this thread now. If you run into trouble again please feel free to start a new thread or email us at support@glowforge.com. Happy printing!