Could the GF cut this?

This is probably the wrong category - sorry for that.
I purchased these - obviously laser cut - but I have no idea if the GF could cut something this small. They were made in Europe somewhere.

3 Likes

I think so. You’d have to do some serious kerf adjusting. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

Correct on category - Everything Else is the catch all :slight_smile:

Those are tiny - but I don’t see why it couldn’t. Figure the beam size is .007 inches - so you can measure (the kerf adjusting @jules just mentioned) to get 'em right!

2 Likes

In early testing days users engraved rice and mustard seeds, so I think something like this could be scored/cut by the Glowforge without much trouble. Give it a try, but keep a close eye since the cuts are so close together.

3 Likes

You’ll get best results with cuts this small in thin materials, where you can move pretty quickly and avoid scorching your pieces.

Your second problem is going to be keeping the pieces from falling into your crumb tray, something like aluminum foil behind your material would probably be a good plan.

6 Likes

As my eyesight deteriorates with age, seeing things like this makes me wonder why would anyone want to make such small things? :sob:

7 Likes

I agree, could be done…but can’t help but ask-what is it??? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I think it’s part of a toy train, based on the second photo. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pretty sure the Glowforge can engrave that small (like they said - grain of rice) but two points still need to be addressed:

1: I would think that engraving a train onto your thumbnail would hurt?

2: How would you get your thumb through the pass-through slot (assuming you’re using a pro…)?

4 Likes

Yes - they are 1:48 scale Christmas ornaments and 1:144 trains. I like TINY miniatures.

6 Likes

Finally something to make with the tiniest of scrap material! :smiley:

4 Likes

:rofl: I got a core muscle workout with that laugh.

3 Likes

Cute!! I love miniatures as do many here!!

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.