Crashing Inkscape trying to trace. Is there another way?

Cubist Incredibles

So I had this idea whilst walking the dog this morning. Spray paint 3 plywood pieces (black, yellow, red). Take this image, break it down to the shapes. Cut this image in each color, and then I have a puzzle to put together in 3 color combos.
However, Inkscape either crashes when I try to trace bitmap, or if it does work, I can only get a “sketch” image that does not allow me to clean up certain elements. (don’t want the convo bubble at top, nor the yellow backdrops" .
Am I asking too much of inkscape here?

2 Likes

That would be pretty trivial but I’m not about to type up a tutorial. You could also do it by reducing the color palette in a raster editor like gimp first, but inkscape’s trace function options can easily handle that.

I might fiddle with it in a little while.

3 Likes

You can also pay someone $5-10 on Fiverr to redraw the shapes from scratch and give you a clean vector illustration.

1 Like

Probably! I am on the line with the makers of Silhouette (my vinyl cutter). Their program does this in 2 steps, in 5 seconds. The bad part, is that they lock down the results so I cannot export. Will see if I can cajole them to show me a way to export what I need.

1 Like

You can export to SVG with Silhouette Studio Business Edition.

4 Likes

No, I’d try to reinstall Inkscape as most of us have very stable experience with it.
Also, you can often get better results manually tracing using the bezier tool.
Yes, that is more work but it is a skill that you need to learn.

6 Likes

I played with it for a few minutes and it wasn’t hard, but then saw you already have a solution. If your version of Silhouette software doesn’t support export, just take a screenshot then trace that in Inkscape.

2 Likes

You still have a bit of work, but it is mostly there.
incredible

6 Likes

Fantastic! Thank you so much!

Yea, Inkscape and I have a “tolerate/hate” relationship. YT videos all seem to have different version than me, so functionality is slightly different. Even my “new” laptop loves to crash when I try and have more than 2 apps open. I feel that being a cranky old man who hates tech will be my Final Form soon…8-\

One quick question. When I drop this into GF, it get double cut lines all throughout. Any way to remove one set of lines? It is not a big deal except for Violet since she is so thin as it is, so I loose thickness from her.

I said it would take some work, You have to decide if you re stacking or doing an inlay. Then go back in close the shapes ore do a boolean on them. I just did a quick auto trace in Illustrator as others in the thread suggested. Since the shapes are simple you could use the pen tool and trace over them.

Teddy might have a larger image available for you to trace and get better detail.

3 Likes

Got it. Thank you.

1 Like

I get much easier and more flexible results from Gimp. I have several tutorials about them but do not have the time to go looking for them ATM (breakfast/lunch is waiting) but search will show a lot.

Here is one of my explanations…

1 Like

For something like this, sometimes I just end up redrawing it myself with the Pen function in Illustrator. It feels like whenever I try to do something else, I still end up having to do that anyway. lol

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.