Create a face mask out of filters

Wow, great idea and share, Victor!

1 Like

When using furnace or other filters, check the SDS just like for lasering. 3M Filtrete are paper but many others are composed of glass fibers. You probably don’t want to inhale those and since you’re going to have to cut them up you’re going to be breaking up & releasing those fibers.

4 Likes

Good point, it always comes back to the MSDS, don’t it ?!

3 Likes

Nice job!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

One of the recommendations when using ANY non-fabric materials is to line the filter on both sides with a cotton fabric. This is to keep you from inhaling stray fibers. I would be careful about any products that have chemicals or scents embedded in them. Using a scented Swiffer around the house to dust may be perfectly safe, but you’ll get a pretty hefty dose of the fragrances and any other chemicals into your lungs if you use them as mask filters. Always remember that the safety of any chemical is a function of how much you are being exposed to and the route of exposure.

4 Likes

This is fantastic! If you add a pipe cleaner or twist tie like off of a bread bag in the top fold you can get a nice seal over your nose.

I just made my first set and the ‘frog’ finally clicked when I took them out. :stuck_out_tongue: love the name.

Thanks so much for sharing!

2 Likes

Awesome! And great idea with the pipe cleaner. Glad you got the joke with the name. You cannot unsee it. LOL

**Remember you need to have a piece of fabric between your face and the filter.

Great advice! I don’t have HVAC material right now but I have a ton of blue shop towels…better than nothing at this point.

2 Likes

True. I would still err on the side of caution.

1 Like

Or a mid-sized paperclip that is straightened out (make a little - like 3/8" - hook on each end so the pointy ends don’t end up poking your face). They can be reused so you don’t need to go buy a thousand of them & causing a new paperclip shortage :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you have scraps from your frog the measured width of the stiffer ridge of your nose and slanting out some getting thinner til bead like at the tips only the ridge itself would be the limiting factor. looking at the nose part of a pair of eyeglasses should also tell the shape but should extend further.

noseclips

5 Likes

nice and thanks

1 Like

This reminds me of the patented Optigrab ™.

1 Like

HAHAHAHA! I love that movie!

Hello, I can’t figure out how you put the material in and back out again, Is it in the same hole? Mine is’nt working.

1 Like

It only goes in once then you just fold over the extra.

Ok, so I can just staple or rubber band or something? Thanks for quick response.

1 Like

If you want, but if you fold it over from outside to inside it will stay.

Thank you so much!

1 Like