Create backing for a coaster

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well.
Can someone please tell me how to create a backing for a coaster that has intricate open details (round and square coasters).
All of my backings are not of the same size as the coaster.

Thank you,
T

Presumably you’d be cutting the design out - so you’d need to create a vector design in something like Inkscape and set the size to whatever you need it to be. If you’re trying to match something that already exists you’ll need to get a good measurement of that and then cut some tests to verify exactly the size you want.

I generally back my coasters with either stick on felt or cork. Cork is hard to cut, but it will do it with a few passes. Felt cut beautifully.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply.
I purchased the svg file of off Etsy.
My backings are off even though I tried to size them up accordingly.
I will try the cork as well.
Thank you so much.

Once your in the GFUI you can click on the piece and then click on the ruler in the bottom left corner and it’ll give you exact dimensions - so you can adjust it based on your measurements. The other option would be to open the .svg you bought and make a copy of the outside line and use that to cut your backing.

1 Like

I used the ruler at the bottom at it will not cooperate.
The width changes when I add the height.
Go figure.
How do I make a copy of the outside line?

You need to unlink the height and width so that they can be adjusted independently.

I’m new to Inkscape and Glowforge. How do I unlink the height and width?

The aspect ratio lock is inbetween the width and height box in the Glowforge interface.

aspect ratio lock

1 Like

I will give it a try. Thank you

1 Like

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu so very much. Unlinking the height and weight worked.
I appreciate it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.