Creating a 12x20 SVG in illustrator but it never fits in the Glowforge?

I’m fairly new here and couldn’t find anything by searching even though I’m sure this topic has been asked before. When I create something in illustrator on a 12x20 canvas, I am always sure to make it fit well within the 12x20, but when I upload it to the glowforge app to print, it never fits within the “printable” area. Why is that? Does this question make sense?

An example file would help.

But, the printable area is slightly smaller than 20x12 - like 19.5 by 10.9’ish.

1 Like

20x12 is perfect for canvas size but there are some settings that have to be right for things to scale right.

You can start searching as this has been ask and answered before or wait and a AI expert will show up soon.

1 Like

12x20” is the right canvas size.
Cutting size is less than that.
Engrave is also less than that but different from cutting size.

Therefore, you need to keep each operation type within its borders.

I’m away from my desktop for a few weeks, but someone here probably can share a baseline template that shows these boundaries.

The Glowforge Basic and Glowforge Plus bed can accommodate materials measuring 18 x 20.4”. The maximum printable area is just about 11 x 19.5”, and it’s reduced somewhat when the laser operates at high speed, as it can take space for the laser to decelerate. There’s a tray for materials that are up to 0.5” thick, or the tray can be removed to accommodate materials up to 2” thick.

The Glowforge Pro adds a Passthrough slot to accommodate material that is up to 20.4” wide, up to 1/4" thick, and as long as you want.

I’m going to close this thread - if you have any other questions, go ahead and post a new topic.