Creating a "hollow" in 5mm acrylic

Hi,
How do I created hollowed out indentations in 5mm acrylic with hemicircle profile?
Lawrie

I think you would create the shape that you want (hemicircle) and then engrave until the shape has reached the desired depth.

3 Likes

Thank you…that was what I was planning to do but I have little experience in creating a drawing that will direct the laser into an ever deepening spiral downwards to create this ie what “fill” using Adobe Illustrator will do this?

Regards

Lawrie

~WRD0000.jpg

1 Like

Do you have a photo of an example of what you are trying to accomplish? There is no way to define the depth that you want the Glowforge to engrave, but any filled shape will be engraveable.

2 Likes

If I’m understanding you correctly you need to use the vary power engrave setting in the GFUI with an image like this - where white means ‘0 power engrave’ and black means ‘100% power engrave’.

If you do this in Illustrator you fill a circle with a radial gradient and then rasterize the circle before uploading to the GFUI.

4 Likes

Thank you.

I will try.

Regards

Lawrie

~WRD0000.jpg

Here is a similar example.

~WRD0000.jpg

image002.png

1 Like

And now I know about an eye surgery I had never heard of. Interesting how a machine like the Glowforge has expanded my field of interest and vision. How is your attempt to create a hollow related to the surgery - or is it unrelated?

2 Likes

If you need it to be anywhere near that smooth - after you engrave the above, hit the hollow with a blue flame lighter and it’ll smooth out quite a bit - not sure it’ll get that shiny, but definitely closer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is totally unrelated.

Lawrie

~WRD0000.jpg

image003.png

Thank you.

Lawrie

~WRD0000.jpg

image003.png

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.