Crumbtray Rulers

I work with jigs a lot in cutting the jigsaw puzzles. I’ve been aligning the material to a piece of electrical tape on the left rail of the crumbtray, and that has worked pretty dang well for me. Why not have something a little nicer, especially if you can do it for basically free, right?

These rulers attach to the left rail and the right rail of the crumbtray using veneer (I used PG maple veneer). The original AI file is included (with modifiable text) along with the SVG that has text outlines.

The curve could use a tiny bit of smoothing but it’s close enough you can’t tell that it isn’t perfect.

128 Likes

Awesome-sauce! (You’re the best for sharing it!) :grinning:

7 Likes

Agreed, thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

Thank you so much! I’ve gotten a lot of useful Glowforge productivity designs from fellow 'forgers; this is one of the best!

2 Likes

This is wonderful. Thanks. I’ve been fidgeting with the out of bounds point. This should help immensely.

2 Likes

Thank You for sharing & have a beautiful evening.

2 Likes

I was designing something similar, but using acrylic. It never occurred to me to use the veneer. Excellent idea! Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Great! I had considered doing this with the veneer a while back, but none of my projects have needed it. Thanks for sharing your work!

2 Likes

Was just saying last night that I needed to make something to lay on the rail … this is amazing! Veneer … would never have thought of it!

Thank you for the file!

1 Like

Great idea
Thank you.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks so much. This is a simple no-brainer that should have been part of the GF from the beginning, but it’s an easy fix. Great idea to use the veneer!

3 Likes

This is fantastic! I have been meaning to make something like this for alignment. Thank you so much for sharing!

1 Like

I just had the thought this past weekend that GF should have put a ruler on the tray. Thought about a paper one on peel-n-stick paper… Didn’t occur to me to use veneer!

Hey @dan, THIS needs to be an official thing. Pay this guy for his file/idea and make this part of the official “new owner” documentation… Perhaps one of the “first ‘prints’” bit along with the ruler (which I actually use all the time).

5 Likes

Check out @marmak3261’s different rulers & squares.

Also a couple of us have posted center rulers - where the 0 is in the center of the ruler and the measurements go out to either side so you can easily find the center of things (my wife uses hers all the time for needlepoint).

1 Like

I’ll just take another badly needed pro unit in lieu of $ compensation lol.

6 Likes

How about a brokers fee? (I’d be happy with a basic of my own. I’m using a loaner from the day job.)

1 Like

oh wow… thanks so much!

1 Like

HUGE props to JB! (@jbmanning5)
The AI file had not yet been converted to all outlines for the text… so I was able to EASILY revise one side of the ruler to a “center ruler.” I also did not change this file to outlines yet, so if you REALLY want center rulers on both sides (or the opposite side of what I did - the right), you can.

Gonna burn and install these later tonight.

CrumbTrayRulers_Full-Ctr.ai (690.3 KB)

4 Likes

We are (somewhat) civilized, are we not!? I convert to outlines in my SVG export options so that I always have a fully functional original.

Nice mod!

3 Likes

I won’t go as far as to claim “civilized,” because people have met me. Ha! But yes, same procedure on all my files. Only the SVG is converted.