Curio cabinet display

After spending at least four months making presents for family and friends, it was time to do something just for me and just for the fun of it.

At this point I was so tickled to be able to make a drawer that was flush that It started out with the Pleiades drawer that you can light up.

IMG_2444

Everything else grew from there as a hodge podge / curio display that an alchemist in Renaissance times would be pleased with (although I’m sure it is not period acurate). I ended up raiding miniatures from an earlier hobby as well as order a few new pieces to complement the setup. The whole thing is about 10"x12".

81 Likes

That is too cool, so many elements!

2 Likes

That is all kinds of awesome!

1 Like

Love it! It’s a “Semiotic Cabinet of Curiosities”! :sunglasses::+1:

4 Likes

I love it!! Neat idea!

1 Like

Very cool! As soon as I saw it, it reminded me of some Renaissance thing, too. Or maybe even Victorian.

2 Likes

A wunderkammer.

3 Likes

Seeing as how I’m originally Dutch, that would be ‘wonder kamer.’

1 Like

My favorite is the mini railing.

1 Like

Wowser!

1 Like

This is gorgeous - well done. So compact too, I bet it’s even more amazing in person!

1 Like

Ohmygosh, the detail in this is amazing! Can’t decide which part I like best: the tiny planets or the lighted constellation or the tiny sundial. It’s a museum piece!

3 Likes

Love it! It’s a “Semiotic Cabinet of Curiosities”! :sunglasses::+1:

Had to look up the fancy word… and yes, it is! Thanks for teaching me a new word! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The planets happened early on in this process. It has a background of stars; then a layer of acrylic set on risers (not very fitting in the time frame- I know) with the orbits engraved and glued on top with spacers as well. Just 4" wide. I only wished I hadn’t painted the engraved sun in gold - it turned out a little messy.

IMG_2393

12 Likes

Very cool!

1 Like

That’s awesome. Please tell me it’s in a room that smells like pipe smoke and has the sound of bunsen burners and gentle bubbling.

6 Likes

I hate to disappoint your illusion, so I won’t …:grin:

3 Likes

I just love it.

1 Like

What amazing fun!! We should all take some time to make something for ourselves!

1 Like

Dutch greeting Dutch.
Paul here from Kortenhoef.

2 Likes