Curses to the person who glued my lid hinges on

Lid hinge on my 2nd replacement pro popped. Disassembled it to repair. I notice that a surprisingly small amount of glue was used on the side that failed. Size: ~1/4 inch x 3/8 inch. Not a mystery why it failed.

So… May the fleas of 1000 camels infest your sleeping bag.

19 Likes

You’d think they’d have that Quality Control issue nailed down by now! My one replacement was due to this.
I know the one-piece glass lid has a great look but I think at this point I’d have switched to some kind of embedded glass within a solid frame or something.

18 Likes

When it rains…

While scraping off the old glue, my hand slipped and the tool tore into the nearby black cable. I can see the broken wires. So, now i am out the cost of one of those plus the shipping cost (which doubles it).

Thanks for naught ye olde stingy glue hoarder.

A 2nd curse: May your night-time path be strewn with legos

15 Likes

This happened to my Glowforge & this was the final straw in dumping my Glowforge & I went with Aeon.

4 Likes

Very disappointing. Sorry to hear that you have to deal with this. It really makes me sad that so many have had a problem with the way the lids were made.

4 Likes

I think i sensed this coming so there is a brand new xtool p2 sitting next to the now sidelined pro. Just hooked up the p2 exhaust and have been impressed with the builld quality and the results. Early days…

7 Likes

Are competitors like xTool and Aeon and others require a network connection for their cutters/engravers to operate? I’m finding that more and more I am having issues with my Pro because my Wi-Fi or my network isn’t good enough. Mind you, no other device complains, and my speed tests are all in the 400Mbits/sec and better (download). I find myself often getting:

Tonight, I had it from before dinner to about two hours after. I just tried it and it works again.

And to think that they want $50 a month for added features, when many of us still have problems with basic operation of a premium-priced device.

3 Likes

FYI - the :glowforge: doesn’t care how fast your WiFi is, it cares how stable it is. What’s your dB for that signal? Anything less than -50 dB seems to be insufficient for the GF.

7 Likes

With my Aeon all you need is to connect to your computer to send files to your laser. You can definitely use wi-fi if you wish.

2 Likes

my xtool appears to allow 4 different methods to connect. The link is between the pc and the laser, no cloud needed. I opted to use an Ethernet connection to a nearby wireless node on my home network and it has worked flawlessly. I could have done a direct usb connection as well but that pc and the laser are not close and the Ethernet connection was more convenient. I have not tried connecting via Wi-Fi but it definately lists my laser when I choose that option.

2 Likes

Thus far, i have only cut really simple stuff but the processing time is so much quicker on the xtool. Like click go and it is ready to burn.

2 Likes

The RSSI measured at my GlowForge is -51db. The Wi-Fi is directly connected to a broadband router. However, I just realized that when I have problems with the GlowForge, it’s that my desktop computer, which is hardwired via Ethernet to the router, can’t access the app.glowforge.com site. My network could be absolutely fine, but if app.glowforge.com is down or inaccessible, then I’m unable to use my device.

What I am looking to do, especially in light of GlowForge’s recent layoff news/rumors, is to have a device that isn’t going to disappear when GlowForge’s or any vendor’s finances have evaporated.

1 Like

Similar thinking led me to the xtool.

So you should look into ways to increase the strength of your WiFi.

1 Like

I can’t tell if you’re joking? That is supposed to be a strong signal.

3 Likes

We have long surmised the quality/cost gf uses for their WiFi chips(ages ago there was a full tear down and identification attempt made-mostly successfully). It works most of the time for most people, but there are occasions…and I also surmise that they use UDP for quicker server to laser communications instead of the slower but data checking TCP. So if there’s dropped packets…the whole thing fails. Try again.

3 Likes

I’m not kidding. As I stated levels of -50 are absolute minimum. Yours it at -51…so barely above minimum.

3 Likes

100% this. Hence the requirement for reliability over speed.

3 Likes

I’m not kidding. As I stated levels of -50 are absolute minimum. Yours it at -51…so barely above minimum.

Barely above or barely below minimum?

Are you sure you’re talking about Decibels?

1 Like

-30 would be amazing.
-51 is just above “might work” (-50)
-70 and your Glowforge won’t work.

It’s a negative number indicating decibels per milliwatt.

3 Likes