Custom Inkscape, Illustrator, CorelDraw and Affinity Designer Color Palettes for ordering operations in GFUI

You don’t really need a palette to operate quite well. In your design program (Inkscape) simply use different colors of your choosing for different operations. The palette makes it easier to put the operations in order in the Glowforge interface, but is not a necessity.

Rather than worry over this detail, I suggest you work on some simple designs or print some of the free designs to get the basics down. Once you have a true need for the palette you can tackle that. In the meantime, choose your own colors and get some successes behind you.

5 Likes

I will talk you through it if need be. If you are using Windows 10 there might be permissions issues for getting that palette into the correct directory.

Can you make the text file with the correct extension name as in GlowforgePalette.gpl

Use Notepad and save this as plain text using the above name:

GIMP Palette
Name: Glowforge

0 0 0 1 black (#000000)
0 0 255 2 dark blue (#0000ffff)
0 100 0 3 dark green (#006400ff)
0 100 255 4 navy blue (#0064ffff)
0 255 0 5 bright green (#00ff00ff)
0 255 255 6 aqua blue (#00ffffff)
100 0 0 7 brown (#640000ff)
100 0 255 8 purple (#6400ffff)
100 255 0 9 lime green (#64ff00ff)
255 0 0 10 red (#ff0000ff)
255 0 255 11 magenta (#ff00ffff)
255 100 0 12 orange (#ff6400ff)
255 255 0 13 yellow (ffff00ff)

Then the processes is getting that palette file copied into your directory. I’ll check in later tonight.

It is helpful but what you might want to think of is use a dark blue as first color. Green as second color. Red as third color. That would be a start.

3 Likes

I have a Mac with a newer OS and have to use the beta of Inkscape. Am I still able to do this to the beta version?

You should be able too. I have not used Inkscape for a couple of years.
I switched to using Affinity Designer, it is not free but not really costly.
Wish I could have helped, forge on!

The Inkscape palette still works with the Inkscape 1.0 beta on Mac OS (I’m on Mojave, 10.13.6). See my post 8 above yours for details on where to put the file:

1 Like

Needed to stick this here just because.

9 Likes

Update for Inkscape 1.0, the new click through for the pallette folder path: Local Disk(C:)> Program Files > Inkscape > share > inkscape > palettes

1. Make your file Glowforge.gpl, save it to Desktop.
  2. Open the File viewer and navigate (click through) each of these folders until you are in the “palettes” folder, then …
  3. …drag your Glowforge.gpl from the Desktop into it. It will pop up a warning about providing administrator permission. Agree to it.

Set the Glowforge.gpl file for your palette in Inkscape:

1. Open Inkscape.
  2. Navigate to the right side of the pallette bar on the bottom of the window, and click on the the triangle menu (triangle on one point pointing left).
  3. Click to open, navigate the pallette list and click on the radio dot for Glowforge.

Can’ find it? Check in the palettes folder(the one you moved the file to) to see if the file saved as Glowforge.gpl.txt, and remove the .txt part. Again it will say you need permission.

Restart Inkscape, it should work this time!

5 Likes

I love this! :smiley: Thanks for sharing

Hello all -
Thanks for this informative thread, so much to learn! I’m awaiting the arrival of my plus TODAY, and getting my GF-specific Inkscape set up. I’m well versed in Inkscape already, but am having trouble getting this palette installed using the steps @marmak3261 and then @jamely set up. I’ve got the file in my palettes folder, without the .txt extension, approved administrator install, but it’s not popping up as a available palette. I’ve restarted Inkscape and my desktop. Any tips?

1 Like

The only thing I can think of is somehow the palette description is not a well-formed text document. Double checked the layout? And you are able to bring up the other palette choice in the interface when you double click that miniscule arrow?

I think the location changed in inkscape 1.0. I’d ask google.

Also don’t miss this:

Always possible to use the user config directory, but from the file list, all the other palettes are there.

Best practice to use config directory, but still

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Inkscape

2 Likes

Yup, able to pull up the other pallets (just couldn’t take a screenshot with the pallets menu expanded within Inkscape).

Can you elaborate on “well formed” document? I copied and pasted what was in the forum under “copy and paste this into a notepad document”. Is there something else I should be checking /formatting?

Thanks!

No idea if this is the cause of your issue, but the path for me on a Windows machine is:

C:/Program Files/Inkscape/share/inkscape/palettes

and yours is:
C:/Program Files/Inkscape/share/palettes

There might be a deeper folder, or their might not be. I’ve had problems when installing through the Windows store, although I don’t think that is your issue.

That is the only thing I can think of right now.

Like there is something in the document that isn’t quite right at the beginning or end.

Show a screen shot of the file. Maybe we could see something.

1 Like

Here’s the .gpl file as it’s seen in notepad, and then the file in location in the palettes folder (the only pathway I can find for a folder that says palettes … @jamely found theirs in a different subfolder - I couldn’t find anything else)

palette 1

Talk about drivin’ me batty!

All the palettes have this header with the name of the palette after Name

GIMP Palette
Name: Reds
#

I assume the hash is for comments

3 Likes

Thank you for this.

2 Likes

So I’ve barely started using my glowforge as I’ve only had it for a week lol. But I’ve read through the thread and the only thing I haven’t figured out is where to go to create the gpl file to input the pallet text to create the pallet for Inkscape. If someone could explain that it would be super helpful! Sorry for being green

1 Like

Use any text editor like Notepad on a Windows Machine or save the file as text only. Save as and give it that extension. It’s just a text file that is used as a configuration file.

1 Like