Custom knife block

So my wife and I came across some painted kitchen knives that we liked a lot, but didn’t really have a good way to store and/or display them when not in use. So I came up with this:
IMG_0899

I used PG Cherry Hardwood, PG acrylic, and PG Cherry Plywood (for the base). Not glue involved anywhere, though I might end up gluing the little acrylic dividers since they sometimes want to come out when a knife is removed.

Here’s a pic showing the engraving detail on the columns (all of the artwork is Creative Commons CC0 from pixabay.com). The conchos (the metal bits on the columns) are from Tandy Leather. I had to use an extension post to connect the front of the concho to the back, and the only place I found them was at Hobby Lobby in the scrapbooking section (who knew?):

From the side where you can see the layers of wood and acrylic:

Lastly, here it is performing its duty:

I have to say that putting it together was very satisfying, a bit like putting together Legos. All in all I’m pretty happy with it. :grinning:

57 Likes

Wow! Never seen knives like that…that’s definitely the way to display them! :grinning:

4 Likes

Those are amazing…never seen anything like those before. Great looking holder for them.

2 Likes

Beautiful knives! Beautiful display!

1 Like

Really beautiful Amazing on several levels. The first is where did you get those beautiful silver bits? Then the knives are fabulous in their design but it screams “hello! I bet you hadn’t thought of doing CERAMIC knives before, with the laser!” And that thought quickly followed by “I wonder if you painted on a glaze that would only fire in where the Laser hit?”

Beyond that the concept itself is stunning even if they were ordinary knives

2 Likes

From Tandy Leather: https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/turquoise-southwest-concho

I hadn’t considered engraving ceramic knives, but that’s a neat idea!

1 Like

What a gorgeous display! Really liking the concho detail.

1 Like

This is a beautiful display. I do not think I would ever use the knives.

2 Likes

I was thinking that that was a really fancy knife holder until I scrolled down to your last picture with the knives inserted. They complement each other very nicely. :grinning:

3 Likes

Good stuff! Clever functional design and really great looking!

1 Like

You’ve made something amazing. It could have been really simple and boring, but you took it to the next level with all that detail, great work.

1 Like

So colorful, both the holder and knives! Great way to show these off!

1 Like

Stunning display. I can tell you paid a lot of attention to detail - the knives and block look they’re meant to be. :slight_smile:

1 Like