Custom Learning Puzzles

My last few projects have been custom designed learning puzzles for my kids.

First one is a Books of Bible bookshelf to help my children understand the structure and order of the Bible. Books are grouped by sections and separated by Old/New Testament. I made each book proportionally sized (in height and width) to the approximate amount of scripture it contains. And the puzzle cut-outs help put all the books back in the right order. I pre-painted my wood for the Bible books before cutting with acrylic craft paint.

Next up is an Earth Timeline history puzzle. The puzzle pieces are the eons and major eras of Earth. Underneath on the puzzle backer, I added graphics to show the coming of life for different groups. Major Earth formation events are noted around the outside rim of the puzzle frame. I’m hoping all this correlated information will help inspire a broader view of Earth History and their own place in the world. I painted these puzzle pieces after cutting since they’re all different colors. They are colored with Derwent Inktense watercolor pencils and then washed out with q-tips and rubbing alcohol. I like this method for small projects because I can be more precise with the color, I didn’t want to glob up the scored text I had just made with liquid paint.

Once I designed everything, both projects went together pretty fast, it was all simple cuts and scoring for the text. My oldest has loved working with them so far :slight_smile:

33 Likes

I really like that Earth timeline! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Pretty neat way of visualizing things. @marmak3261 should get the Books one for Sunday School.

5 Likes

From an Erf Science Teechur!!! Noice!!!

3 Likes

You have certainly nailed remote learning!

3 Likes

Those are some great learning modules!

1 Like

Thanks! I really had to step up my research game for that one :nerd_face:

Haha, glad you approve, I had to do a lot of research for that one!

Thanks! We are actually full-on homeschooling this year which is quite the change for all of us, but the Glowforge helps a LOT!

1 Like

I have been wanting to do a Bible project like this, but I would never have made it so clever and compact. Great design.

And the time scale project is also great. The immensity of time is just crazy.

4 Likes

These are both very nice! I wish I’d had the Earth Timeline one as a child myself… I am intrigued by your Inktense pencil work–I have a set of those pencils, and want to experiment now with the technique you describe…I’ve used regular colored pencils with gamsol on watercolor paper, I think that would be similar to what you’ve done here.

1 Like

Really nice work! It could be used to teach adults too :wink:

2 Likes

Love these well done! Thanks for sharing with us.

1 Like

I LOVE my watercolor pencils, I highly recommend giving them a try. I started off with a cheap set to see if the technique would work on wood and then upgraded to the Derwent Inktense set, they are much more vibrant. I’m not an artist by any means (no idea what gamsol is?), so the pencils allow me to be very precise in laying down the color, especially when I do really detailed work like the earth puzzle below.

I had lots of tiny areas that I would have never been able to do neatly with a paintbrush plus I was able to get some nice blending with the colored pencils. For projects with large blocks of color, I use craft paint with baby wipes. But for detailed work, these pencils are my go-to. Here’s a swatch card I made so you can see how they look dry and then washed out on wood.

6 Likes

Love your swatch card!

1 Like

I would LOVE something like this for learning times tables with my kid. If anyone knows of a design available please share!

1 Like

I did something like that recently and it’s been working pretty well, it’s numbered tiles on a grid board with the times table fact underneath. Educational projects are my favorite, I’ve got this board and lots more in my shop, check the link in my profile for more inspiration.

6 Likes

Haha that awesome I was literally in the middle of doing the same thing when I saw your message pop up!

6 Likes

Looks great! My husband was not so impressed with my version b/c it didn’t light up like the plastic one he had as a kid, maybe you can solve that problem, haha :wink:

1 Like

Maybe one using tree rings to show historical events

1 Like