Custom Memorabilia for an Old Military Unit

I served in the US Army Special Forces (Green Berets) for a couple of decades, and two of my assignments were with a Special Mission Unit. My particular team was known as a “Whiskey Nine” detachment, meaning we were both Combat Divers and Military Freefall Parachutists. Back in the day, we weren’t authorized to discuss or wear anything that singled us out.

Now that we’re all senior citizens, we figured it was time for “showing our colors”… :slight_smile:

So I combined the Army Military Freefall Wings with the Army Combat Diver Badge; and voila! Hopefully, the rest of the guys will like it! :slight_smile:

The obligatory banana is included to show the scale.

57 Likes

Awesome design and thanks for your service.

8 Likes

In addition to being impressed with your service, I thank you for it. Must be a great feeling to finally get to ‘observe’ your special group of Special Forces. Very nice design.

7 Likes

That turned out nice. Thanks for your service!

6 Likes

Xabbess: The greater feeling is having all our teammates come through alive and in one piece; forty years later we can now lean back and reminisce with our “fish stories”. :slight_smile:

The camaraderie was unbelievable.

8 Likes

Thank you for your service!

P.S. I have been missing on seeing a banana ruler, so thank you for that too. :wink:

8 Likes

Thank you for your service, from one vet to another. Sounds like you got to do 2 of the most fun things you can do in the Army , except for uh, you know. You didn’t jump in dive gear, did you? Cant imagine jumping with flippers on your feet…:joy:

5 Likes

Thank you for your service.

4 Likes

Because you make tight friends in tight places. :+1: yet over time contacts are lost. I would pay well to find some of them now.

3 Likes

Awesome design! Thank you for your service.

4 Likes

djfb: Yes, I have done “para-scuba” jumps. Not pleasant, not fun, and will easily kill or cripple you if you don’t get everything right. It’s a very advanced technique that the divers and the flight crew have to get exactly right; because there’s very little margin for error.

Thank you for your service as well!

4 Likes

This is such a great design, I’m sure your colleagues will love it. I can’t imagine how hard it must be to combine these two skills, on their own they are tough enough! You must all be hard as nails!

5 Likes

Thank you for serving our country! Also, for sharing a glimpse of your story and project!

3 Likes

That’s Awesome design combining the Military Freefall Parachutist Badge and the US Army Special Operations Diver Badge.

Good job, thanks for your service.

4 Likes

A salute from one vet to another. Nice work there; are there really sharks in the Combat Divers Badge?

4 Likes

:+1:

2 Likes

I can only imagine. I remember in ROTC Advanced camp we did this Rocky Ranger thing for a badge (I know, doesn’t EVEN compare) but we had to climb this ladder about 3 stories tall, cross a 50’ plank over the water, climb another 10’, grab the rope stretched across the water hazard, crawl to the middle, tap a sign, hang while spouting gibberish, and drop. The one thing they emphasized over and over was DON’T LOOK DOWN WHILE DROPPING! Because you’ll smash your face into the water and that would be no bueno. Sure enough, this one guy watched the water the whole way down and knocked himself out. So I can just imagine.

5 Likes

Looks great!

Was that dry or wet? I can;t imagine jumping in my Viking pro. It’s hard enough walking across the parking lot along with a steel-72 let alone flying through the air…

3 Likes

Kelley1:

Yep, there are sharks in the Combat Diver’s Badge.

According to myth and legend, when the design for the dive badge was made, the ‘logic’ was that the Navy had SEALs, so the Army was going to have sharks. Some of our other dive teams were known as ‘Sharkmen’, so that may have played a role as well. I’m not sure why Big Army went with it.

3 Likes