Customized Crab Whamers

My Brother throws a Crab Fest every year (let’s not kid ourselves; its every chance he can) and I’d promised to make something for it this round. Which I forgot about. Until he called to remind me it’s this weekend.
Typical.
So, quick run to the hardware store for a couple 3 foot dowels, a little cutting, a little Forging, a little glueing and sanding and Voila! A dozen Crab Whamers ready to go.

40 Likes

Lovely!
Do you do anything to your design for carving on the curve, or just let it go?

2 Likes

Thank you! I just let it go; it “handled” the curve just fine. :smile:

I’ll just let myself out…

13 Likes

Puns too! (It’s a good day!)

I like your whammers! :smile:

3 Likes

Thank you!! (I’m actually terribly ashamed, that pun was horrible. I’m not even a dad.)

7 Likes

Very classy :heart:
~wondering how to get an invite to said crabfest…lol~

3 Likes

Knowing my brother, if you live in South Jersey you probably are invited.
I’d asked him how many Whammers he might want and he’s like, “Dunno, 50?” :astonished:

5 Likes

What a unique party item! I think you’ll start a trend.

2 Likes

They are really easy to make, and not expensive; if you already have the tools. I highly recommend everyone gives it a try!

1 Like

Nice mallets. Spent much of my life on the rivers of the Chesapeake Bay crabbing. Probably picked tens of thousand of crabs. My wife even worked as a crab picker in one of the big crab houses. Now, I let my son do the crabbing and my daughter do the picking. Never could pick faster than my appetite.

9 Likes

Lots of good crabs here in MD. But I’ve always been disheartened about how long it takes to get out the crab meat. I’d get my meal and just get out all the crabmeat first, and then by the time I actually started eating, everyone else who ordered something else without crabs were done or nearly done with their meals.

4 Likes

It takes practice (I have 47 years an counting), but eating crabs is never a quick process. It’s not a meal, it’s an afternoon. In a way, that’s part of the charm!

3 Likes

Unfortunately my wife is allergic to the Shellfish, so she’s not usually willing to sit around for a full afternoon just to watch me eat crabs. But she’ll indulge me for my birthday.

4 Likes

I have the same exact experience…just gotta find other crab lovers to share the time with…hate feeling guilty making others wait for me to get my fill…lol

2 Likes

Great idea and wonderful execution! Spent many years myself on bay crabbing. Haven’t had a decent crab cake in a few years, other than when I visit… Mmmnnn!

1 Like

Hate to brag, but my significant other loves crabs as much as I do, so we often head to Waterman’s down in MD and will sit out on the dock for HOURS. Lovely time. :yum:

2 Likes

I’ve never tasted crab that could hold a candle to our PNW Dungeness crabs! Mmmmmmmmmm. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds about the same as our crawfish boils - it’s a labor of love, as far as getting a full belly from it. It’s more about the get-together than anything.

Cool project!!

4 Likes

I’d love to be able to compare those with our MD Blue Crab. (So I guess I’ll just have to eat TWICE as many crabs…for science sake of course)

4 Likes

Would be glad to give you company and eat a bunch of crabs if you come visit MD again!

2 Likes