Customized Ear Savers Won't Print

Oh boy. I regret offering to customize as there’s no easy way to do that, at least with Inkscape. I essentially had to recreate the entire design. And now, with the requested customization, it won’t print. I even tried just scoring first, but after it spins for ~ 10-15 min, it fails to print (I have tried power cycling printers, etc). It’s seems pretty deficient that we have to depend on a cloud service that just times out :frowning:

Another issue is that score lines seems to shrink the printable area. I have to ignore those to get it to fit. It was not at obvious that it was the issue and only from reading discussion on the forum did I find out. I think the software could have been more helpful here.

I attach my file - I’m already many days late on this and might have to print without the customization.SCVMC

Update: by changing from “engraving” to “scoring” it looks like it’s getting through. The original points remain questions though.

1 Like

For engraving, the margins are a lot smaller, and if you have engraving in the group, it will shrink the margins. If you want to engrave all of that text, you will probably need to lose a column and a row on the batch before you save it.

(Or just leave it as a Score.)

Thanks, my point was that it wasn’t at all obvious that this was the reason the margins shrunk. The UI could have posted a warning perhaps?

Yeah, we don’t have a notice anywhere, it’s usually just something we pick up as we use it. But it was definitely the engraving that triggered it. You can actually slow the speed and cause those margins to shrink back, but you also have to reduce the power, and that requires some testing.

For something like this…the scoring is probably going to be quicker, so I’d stick with that. It’s still going to take a long time to print a whole sheet.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help, @Jules! The maximum printable area is 11 x 19.5”, and it’s reduced somewhat when the laser operates at high speed, as it can take space for the laser to decelerate.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback regarding the software, and I’m sorry for the trouble you ran into here. I’ll pass your feedback on to the team.

Generally, scoring is more time-effective than engraving, because the printer head won’t need to travel back and forth over a larger area multiple time to complete a full engrave (it can simply follow the path of the score lines). Could you please let me know if you were able to get printing with this advice?

1 Like

Yes, thanks. I just finished peeling off the backing tape so I’m good.

Thank you for the update. I’m glad to hear that you were able to get back up and printing! If you run into trouble again, or have any questions, please post a new topic here on the forum or email us at support@glowforge.com and we’ll be happy to help!