Cut out is off centered from engraving

Hi, I’m making a bunch of coins/tokens. I have twenty all as one rastered imagine, so that it engraves in long lines rather than each coin separately. This drastically speeds up the process. The issue is, the cut out paths for all of these coins matches the graphic perfectly, but when I cut out the coins the ones on the far right and far left are not centered in the circular cut outs. I’m not sure why this would be happening or how to fix it…

1 Like

Without the art to look at it’s going to be hard to give very good advice. Can you upload the file? (Or at least a screenshot of the UI?)

2 Likes

With the graphic in GF app, use the app and place circles around each coin graphic. Set the graphics to “Ignore “ and the circles to power 7 and full speed. Save this as “Paper score “ . Tape sheets of paper to the crumb tray and run it. This will draw circles on the paper. Place the coin blanks on the circles. Set graphics to engrave and circles to ignore. Do not pay any attention to what you see on the screen. Run it.

So I’m actually cutting the coins/tokens out of the sheet after engraving, so I wouldn’t need to do this. The engraving and cut lines are all in the same svg file, so it should be perfectly lined up.

I’m not sure how it could be cutting offset from the engraving considering they’re linked under the same svg…

Yeah neither can we, which is why I asked to see the art file. I don’t think any of us will be able to help very much without seeing it and pictures of the result. It’s definitely weird but I fear we’ll just be guessing without seeing it.

If you don’t feel comfortable sharing it with us, then I’d suggest emailing support. They’ll give you the final word on it anyway.

1 Like

Hi,

I am having the same issue. The file has the circle cut location in the centered exactly around the engrave.

I assumed it was a file issue so I set the cuts to ignore and used the GFUI to create circle cuts and positioned them properly using the x and y measurements but still have the same issues.

I have cleaned my machine, tightened the three belts and checked for debris in the belts. Checked and cleaned all wheels and I have laid out the file in both horizontal and vertical print positions with the same results.

There are about 8 separate files with different sized coins and in all of the files the cuts are offset from the engrave. I have yet to find a solution. I would upload the file but am not sure I can/should since it was a purchased file.

I have attached a photo.

Anthony

Somehow I fixed my issue, it seems. I’m not sure what exactly did it, but I cleaned my lenses, and exported my svg with 5 decimal places. Can you let me know what they tell you or if you fix it for future knowledge?

After loading the coin.pdf into Inkscape, I noticed that the engraved areas weren’t perfect circles. They looked like the were centered perfectly in the cut circle when actually the coins were a slight oval shape.

Once I fixed both sides of each coin and centered them with the cut line in Inkscape, they have printed flawlessly.

2 Likes

the default setting is 1 decimal place, which is not very precise at all, especially if you are using imperial measurements. Installing a new version of illustrator, or re-installing an older version, seems to wipe out this particular preference. None of my designs require more than 1/10,000’s of an inch of precision, so I generally use 4 decimal places. The only downside to using more decimal places is increased file size.

example:
1 decimal place:

4 decimal places:

going from a 1/10th of an inch precision to 1/10,000 of an inch of precision added a whopping 36 bytes to this little file.

1 Like

Are they using 1000 for the KB size then? Usually KB=1024 bytes but with all the rounding down or up of things it’s hard to tell anymore which is being used in what context. I hate when common usage alters the meaning of precise things :frowning:

If you want Support to look at your problem, you will have to start your own thread in Problems and Support.

I believe that the file size description here is calculated as decimal, not binary. I could be wrong. Maybe I should try to build a file that is exactly 1,020 bytes and see what it says.
Point remains; better precision in your SVG file doesn’t cost you all that much in file size.

I wonder too if that changes with complexity of the file. Simple basic shapes like circles/squares not so much but intricate artwork might be a larger growth factor - e.g. non-linear.

Of course I could jump into that rabbit hole and start playing but man I’m resisting the temptation - I already spend too much time with Bugs Bunny :smiley: