Cut Out outside shape

Could someone help me figure out how to cut out my design? I’ve tried creating it in illustrator, and in photoshop. when I try to create it, it uploads as engrave only. I’d like to add a layer to cut it out? what am i missing? Final Award_stroke.pdf (4.4 MB)

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

The quick answer would be to use the outline tool in the interface.

I just tried your file, and I am getting the clip mask error. Glowforge doesn’t process clip masks.

1 Like

I’m trying to figure out the difference between ‘masks’ and ‘fills’!
Thank you for your help! This is only my second attempt on the machine.

A mask is an effect, like looking at a wall through a window. A fill is the color of a thing, like the paint on the wall.

Avoid masks for GF projects, it doesn’t process them.

1 Like

So I’m guessing you wanted this red line to be a cut line - this is a zoom of your .pdf, and because you can see the bumps it’s clearly a raster (a picture).

I’ve opened this up in PaintNet (you’d use Photoshop) and deleted the red, then copied it to Inkscape (you’d use Illustrator) and done a trace on the image - which gets you a vector (math). The :glowforge: will only cut with a vector line. I deleted everything that wasn’t the outline cut and saved them both together (and zipped because the forum deletes rasters from uploaded .svgs)

Final Award_stroke_V2.zip (397.9 KB)

Note, when you zoom in on a vector it never gets bumpy:

4 Likes

Exactly the directions I needed!!! Thank you for explaining it so well! Makes sense now!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.