Cut time optimization by decreasing head travel?

I’ve started cutting some living hinges and noticed that the GF does not seem to do a very good job (or any) travel optimization when it comes to cutting lines. When cutting the lines for the living hinge it seems to always cut a line top to bottom, then travel diagonal up to the top of the next line over and cut it then repeat that process, which seems like a lot of extra travel time. It seems like it would be faster to cut top to bottom, move over, then cut bottom to top, move over, then top to bottom.

Is there a setting somewhere to change for this? Is there a way to manage it better in my file to force a more optimized travel path? Also when there are multiple segments to the Y direction lines directly above one another, why not cut the entire Y line and turn the laser off for the gap rather than decelerate, travel diagonal back up and repeat. It is almost doubling the number of direction changes, which increases print time.

Is there any other software out there that would modify an SVG to force the GF to cut in a more optimized way?

Thanks

1 Like

I have seen it do both, depending on how the pattern is drawn in my software. There is also the thought of needing the material to cool to lower the risk of movement and scorching or fire, which can happen with too many cuts in the same area in a short amount of time.

5 Likes

The same print will often follow a different path every time. It’s calculated in the cloud. Nothing you can do to change it.

1 Like

I know and it frustrates the hell out of me!!!

I’ve tried a bunch of things but with no success. One of my often cut patterns has scored grids and they go all over the place.

I keep suggesting the same simple fix. Do whatever the code is doing now, but before cutting the line, see if the end is nearer than the start. It is a trivial optimisation in code and for some jobs would save miles of travel.

Dan has said before that optimisation of cutting actually saves very little and it’s not worth pursuing yet because other things are more valueable. I completely agree. However, this one little trick would optimise some of my cuts by 20% or more.

Living hinges are terrible examples of this, where you have long strokes and it returns to the start every time.

At the fore is The Traveling Salesman Problem(TSP) combined with the direction of the vectors (that all do have direction). What can be fun is to copy-paste in the GFUI copying the previous paste each time. What happens is that the order and directions reverse so in one case it goes clockwise and the copy counterclockwise as an example and this goes on to the level that the TSP software over-rules that and wants to go from the outside in and wander about as you have seen. If you start with a rectangle and remove the top and bottom and then array that the chances of it doing as you want is increased (but not guaranteed)

Of course, you could make each a different color and have a great many layers, but set the order you want.

3 Likes

Interesting question…I believe it starts at the start point and ends at the end point on open lines. So if you create a bunch of lines by copying and pasting, reverse or rotate the second line before you make your copies and it might optimize the travel path the way you want. (Just a theory…haven’t bothered to test it yet.) :slightly_smiling_face:

(Oh and sometimes there are good reasons for doing it a fraction of a second more slowly…acrylic can deform when it gets too hot. Optimizing for that material would require leaving it the way it is now.)

2 Likes

I primarily do separate engravings in one run and it will travel to the ones in the corresponding order I uploaded each engraving file. It is not optimized at all, I would have saved countless hours already if it was actually optimized to take the fastest path.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.