Cutting and engraving mat board

I have both made and purchased bevel mat cutters. The key difference I discovered is that mat board is pretty delicate, and you need a very smooth and fairly broad sliding surface. You don’t want to leave shiny lines from pressing down hard and sliding and you don’t want to leave tears or embossing. The amount of force it takes to cut through good quality mat board is also higher than I expected and a few of my less well thought out attempts ended up with the knife pulling out if its holder and getting stuck in the board.

I threw out all my homemade ones and got one of these cheapos http://www.dickblick.com/products/dexter-mat-cutter/. It works pretty well and is less expensive then screwing around and wasting mat board.

4 Likes

I like the stage curtain design.

1 Like

You beat me to it! That was going to be one of my first projects was using the glowforge in conjunction with my Wizard CMC Mat Cutter. I’ll get the best of both worlds- beveled cuts with laser etched details.

2 Likes

Yep-- hobby blade and a paint stirrer for 90º, scrap wood cut or sanded as needed for any other angle…

9 Likes