Cutting and Etching on Thin Materials

Hi,
I’ve got a very thin sheet of wood at 0.02" thick and am looking to etch into this and then cut this material. No matter my settings, the laser won’t cut the wood, and the cut and etch commands come out the same depth.
I’m a new user, so I’m sure it’s my lack of knowledge, but could use some quick help in figuring this out. Thank you!

Sometimes when we enter manual settings, the power is set to 0. Something I’ve missed too setting up jobs before when I found it’s not cutting.

Try a setting of about 30 for cutting will be a good start, and 40 for etching. I’ve done wood veneer cardstock with cuts and etchings, and can check my notebook later for what settings worked on those.

But plan on testing a few times to get what you want!

Appreciate that. Any additional details you have from your notebook would be very helpful :slightly_smiling_face:

Since this problem is being seen on materials that were purchased from another company, we can’t offer support for prints that don’t come out as expected. I’m going to move it to Beyond the Manual so other folks here can help. Should this happen with a print on Proofgrade materials, please open a new ticket in Problems and Support and we’ll help you right away!

1 Like

Hi,
For my thin wood veneer cardstock, I used “thin natural leather” and then adjusted speed / power settings to these:
450 / 60 for cutting and
1000 / 20 etching

4 Likes

when you say etching do you mean engraving? thanks

Hi, sorry for any delay in response–wasn’t checking the forum as frequently as usual.

Yes, I do use engrave and etch interchangeably for the GF (either term really an be appropriate, pending how far down the definition rabbit hole you want to go–but etch is faster to type :wink: )

Not to be pedantic, but etching is a chemical process while engraving is a physical process. Very different.

1 Like

What about Etch-A-Sketch? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I hate emoticons but figured a pedantic person might think I was serious. :crazy_face:

Darn you made me do it again.

2 Likes

Technically wouldn’t that be “scrape-a-sketch”… :thinking:

3 Likes

or “scratch-a-sketch,” since it’s more like the scratchboard process.

1 Like