Cutting and SVG issues

After this latest update: My SVG files no longer upload to the app (i’m using Corel draw) and I have to re-save them as plain svg in inkscape and then upload them. Anyone else having that problem?
But the main reason for this post, in the last few days my Glowforge isn’t cutting correctly. Using certified material and non-certified material, it never cuts on the first try. I measure the material to make sure it’s correct, and it still doesn’t cut through. I have to do multiple passes at a thicker than material height and use a really slow cut. Anyone else experiencing this? It used to cut no problem on the first try.
Crumb tray is in. Materials are between .10 to .30.

1 Like

Have you cleaned all of the windows, lenses and mirror lately? Buildup on that can cause poor cuts.

Instructions for what to clean are here:

What to Wipe

For over a year I’ve never had a Corel draw file upload to my GF without saving it as an SVG, so likely some issue with different versions.

For not cutting, as @Jules noted, be sure to clean everything. Pending the materials you use, cleaning should be more frequent than 40 hours. Acrylic for example doesn’t create dust like draft board, but you can get splatter on the lens that can interfere with the laser… And be sure your air intake is not blocked and the exhaust fan is clear and exhaust vent not kinked or blocked…

2 Likes

Manually setting focus to “thicker than material height” will not help in this case – you’re actually defocusing the beam, so the power is diffused across a larger area.

I’d recommend the cleaning that Jules recommended and using the Set Focus tool in the GFUI to ensure the laser is properly focused on the surface.

5 Likes

What they said - and if you’ve cleaned the lens recently, double check you didn’t put it in upside down - the “bowl” should face into the head

1 Like

I’m sorry that you are having trouble with your prints. I’m glad to hear you have a workaround, but I’d like to take a closer look. Could you please send us one of the files you’re running into trouble with? We’ll be glad to take a closer look. If you’d rather not share your file on this thread, you can always send the file in an email to support@glowforge.com.

Regarding your cut through issues, there are a couple of things that I would like to check out. Could you please follow the steps located on our support page here for “Things That Need Wiping”?

After thoroughly cleaning your Glowforge Pro, could you do the following test?

1. Turn off your Glowforge, then turn it back on
  2. We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Place Proofgrade Draftboard in the bed and load the Gift of Good Measure design.
  3. Set the score and engrave steps to ‘ignore.’ Print the Gift of Good measure using the default settings. Allow the print to finish.
  4. When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture of the bed updates.
  5. Check the completed print:
    • If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut, please let us know the date and time of the print
  • If the Gift of Good Measure cuts successfully, please try another print of the design you saw the issue with, and let us know the results.
  1. If the issue still occurs, please let us know the date and time of the finished print.

Let us know how it goes!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.