Cutting Baltic Birch

I don’t know if they changed something, but that setting isn’t what it use to be. I’ve gotten a tad frustrated and went to FP/125-130. Black edge but definetly through. It’s a horrible setting but I was cutting templates that just needed to be cut , and I wanted them cut fast. Maybe I need a patience adjustment to wait for longer cut times…

Oh don’t forget to add any results you try, good or bad , to the link repository 's new sheet. It has a settings area I have e slowly been adding to. I have a stack of cue cards I write on on top of the machine, then periodically remember to add to the sheet .

Interesting. I had good results with 150/70 and 180/100, both with nice tan edges. 120/70 was more burnt. I did have to up the power to 150/100 after I put masking on both sides. It wasn’t necessary to jump to full power though.

I’ll see if it’s repeatable… chances are I’m going to make a few dozen trees and give them as “assemble it yourself” gifts, so I need them to be dependably cut.

2 Likes

With my basic, my best settings for 3mm bb is 170/90 with no masking. Only if it hits a core knot will it blacken and not go all the way through in a single pass. Every edge nice and golden :slight_smile:

1 Like

I cut a pretty intricate thing today using 200/FP. There was only one tiny spot where it didn’t go all the way through near the end of the job, in a corner that seemed flat when I dropped the sheet of ply onto the tray, but which was significantly warped by the end of the cut job. If I had used magnets it would have stayed down and been fine.

2 Likes

For the record , my settings were for 6mm ply not 3mm. I really need to grab some of that stuff

1 Like

Oh my bad, I was talking about the 3mm. :crazy_face:

Ah, that explains it. I ran a complete tree kit at 150/100 (with masking) and it came out perfect. I’m going to Amazon to buy the big box now. At $1.33/sheet, this will be my go-to for a lot of stuff.

4 Likes

Yup, as much as I love :proofgrade:, buying BB by the big box is a great deal.

3 Likes

Just another data point on settings to try… I tried the 140/FULL x2 pass for 1/4" Baltic Birch and didn’t get full cuts everywhere, simple trim with an Exacto blade and good to go but finding that 130/FULL x2 pass is getting through. Source of wood was Woodcraft.

2 Likes

I am having the exact same issue with 1/8. It doesn’t cut consistently