Cutting Everything

Good evening,

I’ve had my Glowforge for about a month and it has worked perfectly fine until now.

Regardless of the settings I put in place it is cutting everything…

My engravings are coming out as cuts.

Please help.

Thank you,
Tonia

Could you share a screenshot of how you have set up an engrave but get a cut instead? Does this happen with every file, or just some of them. What happens when you print the Gift of Good Measure?

1 Like

Good evening

Attached are pictures of the settings I put in place for the engraving.

@kennedydecoranddesig, the speed that you have showing there…140…is so slow that at Full Power it will cut through just about anything. Change the speed to 1000, and it will engrave.

4 Likes

Hi Jules,

But I’ve used the same settings for other projects and it came out perfect. This is the first time it’s done this. Is this something that normally happens? Having to change the speed regardless of using them before?

In your first photo, Proofgrade engrave settings are selected, but then you manually input 140 full power and 225 lines per inch.Is it possible that you are in error about this setting ever being used successfully because an engrave at full power engraving 225 lines in an inch at this slow speed would certainly result in burning through rather than just taking off a layer of the wood. Please try your design with the Proofgrade SD engrave setting and see if it doesn’t work out better.

2 Likes

Do you see on your second picture, at the top, the word [Custom]? Those got accidentally reset somehow…they are not a normal engrave setting. The speeds used for Engrave are generally at around 1000.

If you back up, and then click on SD Graphic again, it should reset it to the default values, then you can check them to see what they are, without changing them.

3 Likes

I believe SD engrave is not 535/70.

1 Like

Thank you for your assistance.
The SD Graphic is reading: speed 535, power 70 and lines 270; the HD Graphic is reading: speed 400, power 51, lines 450.

Which should I use? Forgive me a newbie.

I think you should choose the SD and see if you like the result.

So should I keep the settings for SD?
speed 535, power 70 and lines 270

1 Like

The default for SD graphic is: speed 535, power 70 and lines 270
Should I use these or just use 1000 for the speed?

1 Like

Well no, you can use the slower speed with the lower power if you want to…they have to be considered together. (At Full Power, you use higher speed.)

Just use the SD (Standard Definition) settings as shown. If you want the engrave to be darker and deeper, use the HD (High Definition) settings. Glowforge has done the work of figuring out the best settings for you.

2 Likes

Thank you so very much. I really appreciate it.
I will let you know the outcome.

2 Likes

Came out perfect!
Thank you.

4 Likes

Came out perfect!
Thank you

2 Likes

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!