Cutting issue

Hi everyone!! I’m new to this so hopefully this is a simple fix. I’ve printed out a few things and noticed that the left side only is not cutting all the way through the wood. Any advice would be appreciated! Is it me, or is it something wrong with the machine?

Christine

It is hard to tell what might be going on with your machine from your post. What material are you cutting? Is your material pinned securely to the honeycomb tray? Is your tray properly seated in the floor of the Glowforge? Have you cleaned all of the optics - including the printhead side window and the window on the left inside of the machine?

2 Likes

I’m using proof grade medium draft board. I’ve only used it a few times so I haven’t cleaned it. How often is that needed? Even brand new, it was doing this.

1 Like

This is very important information.
Make sure that the side window on the printhead is clean (easy to accidentally put a fingerprint here) and that the side window inside the machine is clean. Print the Gift of Good Measure on your proofgrade draftboard using proofgrade settings. Place the design on the right side of the board where you have had difficulty. If the print does not come out perfect, post photos (front and back) along with the date and time of the print. Support will be able to more quickly access your machine logs and help you.

1 Like

Thank you! I will try that now…

I have cleaning supplies coming. What can I use now?

You don’t need cleaning supplies beyond Zeiss lens wipes.

2 Likes

Just to clarify…place your design wherever it’s NOT cutting through.

All cleaned and seems to be working fine now…thanks for your help!! I didn’t realize it would have to be cleaned so often!

2 Likes

Must read more carefully! I guess I was projecting a problem that seems more common. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I thought of that too, when I saw your reply. This issue on the left side is almost unheard of.

2 Likes

At least in my experience, it is more ‘I didn’t realize how much I touched those lens spots when putting on the print head’ :rofl: My print head is covered in white powder all the time but its the finger prints that do it in.

5 Likes

I’m glad you resolved it! I see that the community has provided some good advice. I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!

Here is a link on some steps for cleaning your Glowforge https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033633614-Clean-Your-Glowforge

1 Like