Cutting to the side

I put my design in one spot and the laser cuts it an inch to the left… I was cutting all day yesterday and then it started doing this. Makes it hard to align things to make the most out of my material. Suggestions? I’m not even sure how to search for what’s wrong lol.

In the photo you see the space between the two sets of 3 ovals on the bottom row? That’s what’s happening. I’m cutting 3 ovals at a time (small batch cause I’m doing this on scraps of proofgrade) and when I do one I place it right next to the other… but still space… help?

There was a time a while back when I had that problem and I found that turning the machine off and back on would force it to recalibrate which should fix that issue,

1 Like

It started doing this last night so I thought it was the universe telling me to go to sleep. Turned it on today and same problem…

Solution… I just used an air blower and cleaned things… so? Fixed? :smiley:

It definitely needs to re calibrate every once in a while so an on/off is worth it - also, especially with scraps, the likelihood of something small getting into a belt or the track causing a bump. Because it’s only left-right I’d (with it off) run the laser head back and forth and feel carefully for any sort of resistance…

Hopefully you never run into the issue again, but yes, cleaning is probably the answer :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The “drift” is in the ten thousandths of an inch ballpark, which basically occurs after a job is run and the head returns to home. It can eventually add up, but it takes a while.

If the head was moved at all while the machine was on, perhaps taking material out, putting new material in, etc. its location will be off until a reboot, which sets a new calibration.

4 Likes

I checked your machine logs and it looks like, after the advice from our other community members, your unit is back up and printing as expected. That’s great! It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.